Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to debug in dedicated unit test client

Mattias
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

We have a setup where we do all development in client 100, but have a separate client for unit tests. Since this is the client holding relevant test data, we would like to debug in this client.

How can I achieve this in Eclipse, do I need to create two projects (one for each client) and open the object twice, or is it possible to setup using debug configurations or something similar?

Regards

5 REPLIES 5

Florian
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mattias,

I don't think there is now an option available. I also created different projects for the different clients. While developing I set my breakpoints and I can compare these with the breakpoint view.

Could you suggest an solution? How would you solve this "problem".

~Florian

Hmm.. while writing about this I think I have to test if I can export it from one client and import it to the other... That could be an easier solution (maybe with a custom made button)...

Mattias
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Florian,

Good to hear I that I'm not the only one with this problem.

My suggestion would be to implement "remote debugging" similiar to the normal Java Remote Debugging, but modified to fit the abap approach (i.e. choosing SID / Client instead of a host name).

http://help.eclipse.org/luna/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.jdt.doc.user%2Fconcepts%2Fcremdbug.htm

Regards

0 Kudos

Hi Mattias,

you have to create a project for the client, where the request to be debugged is processed, and set the breakpoint there.

Kind regards,

Efstratios Tsantilis

(AiE Development, Walldorf)

0 Kudos

Hi Efstratios,

Ok, that's what I have been doing up until now, but it would be much more convinient to be able to debug straight from the development client. Using the Eclipse Remote Debugging functionallity it seems that this would be possible to solve.

Do you have any plans to implement this?

Regards

Mattias

0 Kudos

Hi Matthias,

in Java you need OS privileges to debug Java code running on any Java application server (and additionally set up the Java VM in debug mode and stuff like that). And once you have OS privileges, you can of course debug all Java VM processes/threads on the machine, regardless which application context they are currently running for.

In ABAP you do NOT need any kind of OS privileges in order to debug. All you need is a user in the system/client with debug privileges, which is big advantage in terms of privilege separation. ABAP debugging on customer systems for example, which is a quite normal thing, would be much harder to realize, if we require any kind of OS privileges.

To cut a long story short:
As a user is required with debugging privileges in any ABAP system/client for ABAP debugging, it is not possible to realize a remote debugging in ABAPinEclipse just by specifying SID/client of the remote ABAP system.

So you need to logon to the ABAP system/client (and set breakpoints there) in order to debug. And as the system/client logon to the ABAP backend in ABAPinEclipse is conceptually linked to a project, you need to have an open project for those ABAP system/clients you want to debug in.

Regards,

Christoph Stoeck, ABAP Language