cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating from B.I 3.0 TO B.I 4.0 plateform

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Can anyone please help with good documents on migration.

Thanks,

Pavana

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There are many blogs and questions in this forum for upgrading. Please search. if you have any specific questions, let us know.

Upgrade | SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Solutions

You can also refer to Upgrade guide.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jawahar,

I am bit confused in upgrading.

is upgrading the complete client tools or only CMC users ,groups and reports which are scheduled.

Please let me know more on this.

Thanks,

Pavana

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You need to upgrade both Server and Client tools. You need to upgrade the Server first and then Client tools.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jawahar,

Can you please explain in brief.

It would be more helpfull for me.

Thanks,

Pavana

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi pavan

I have done bi 4.0 to 4.1 upgrade, I just done server upgrade and coming to client tools on request by bo designers I have installed information design tool only.

Just do server upgrade and handover to bo consultants, if you get any request from them regarding client tools u need to execute that only.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

How did you do the server upgrade?.

Thanks,

Pavana

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You need to download the Server install from Service market place.  There are [attern books availble. Follow the steps.

I would suggest install BO 4.1 on a new server 64 bit. Than migrate the objects from 3.1 to 4.1.

First look at the PAM (product availabilty matrix) what is supported. And also documentation.

SAP Business Intelligence Platform Pattern Books - Business Intelligence (BusinessObjects) - SCN Wik...

SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence platform 4.0 – SAP Help Portal Page

As i mentioned earlier, there are many blogs in SCN forum. First go through the documentation.

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There are webinars related to upgrade.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jawahar,

How to migrate?

is it through import wizard of 3.1.

Thanks,

Pavana

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No. If you are migrating from 3.1 to 4.0/4.1 use upgrade management tool.

If you are new to BO administration or migration procedures, kindly go through the links we have provided.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jawahar,

i did admin role using CMC but new to migration...

As you said we have to use UMT to imports all users,groups,floders to new version 4.1 is this you mean?

we currently have 3.1 and planning to migrate to 4.1.

Thanks,

Pavana

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes.  I would suggest do the migration in bacthes, instead of doing all at a time (If you have thousands of objects).

Search UMT issues in this forum, you will get some useful information before you proceed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jawahar,

Thank you!!

Hope you will be available if i come accross any issues.

no need of using import wizard in 3.1 to migrate right? only UMT in 4.1.

Thanks,

Pavana

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes UMT. If not me, forum is available always .If you still need any help, you can open an incident with SAP support.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jawahar,

I can see lot of server running in CMC which is related to difirrent machines.

Can you please explain me this how it related to different machines.

Thanks,

Pavana

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

May be you have cluster environment.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jawahar,

Before upgradation do i need to run all reports in 4.0 client tools to make any changes in table or if any formats not matching or it could be done after UPGRADATION .

Please help me on this.

Thanks,

Pavana

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Are you doing in place upgrade or separate server for BO 4.0?

You cannot open them in client tools unless you upgrade the server to BO 4.0.

Can you explain in more detail how is your environment look now and your upgrade plan for the server?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jawahar,

we have a seperate server for BO 4.0, everything is already installed on the  new server and we have seperate team for configuration as well.

I have to do only upgradation from  prod 3.1 to dev 4.0 live to live .

Thanks,

Pavana

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You need to run UMT to upgrade and migrate from 3.1 to 4.0.

When you launch UMT, it will ask for source and destination server

Source should be 3.1 server, destination should be 4.0 server and select the objects you want to migrate. You will have an option to complete or incremental upgrade . If you have many objects in your current 3.1 environment, i would suggest to go with incremental upgrade and you can do live to live.

Please refer UMT guide for more information.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jawahar,

I got it.

Thank you so much!!

Regards,

Pavana

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jawahar,

Just a small doubt.

1) while we are migrating from prod to dev since our environment is cluster as per my knowledge

we have to stop one of the input and output repository and cms of the same node. Is this correct ?

2) During migration since we stop the server, do still users will be able to access reports during

migration?.

3) If not, do we have to inform to users earlier to migration.

Thanks,

Pavana

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You don't need to stop any servers while migrating.

Former Member
0 Kudos

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/BOBJ/Preparing+for+upgrade

I reffered the  above upgrade doc and it says the same.

are you sure?.

Thanks,

Pavana

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That is for upgrade of the server from one SP to another SP, not for migration of the reports from 3.1 to 4.0

Former Member
former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you are doing full upgrade, you need to stop the other servers except CMS and FRS. Sorry i missed that part.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jawahar,

so do you mean will it stop the users to access the reports while migration.

Thanks,

Pavana

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes. If you stop most of the servers, users will not able to run the reports. You need to plan to do this downtime.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As you said you did upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1..

how did you keep a count of all reports and subfolders ?

we do have more than 5000 objects very hard to do it manually

any other alternate way to do this?

please let me know.

Thanks,

pavana

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

We did not do full migration. We moved by areas of business to new environment and shut down the old enviroment after everything is moved.

You can also run query builder queries to list how many objects by folder in old environment and after migration , you can run the same query, match the count.

You need to have lot of plannng required before you plan for migration.

I suggest go by incremental upgrade instead of full upgrade.

Former Member
0 Kudos

If i go for incremental do i need to keep a count?

i realy dont know about query builder?

Can you please explain how did you plan for migration?

Thanks,

Pavana

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You need to contact your BO admin about Query Builder. Only the users in Admin group have an access to Query Builder.

Migration project is not just one person show, it should involve all the BI stake holders in the company.

Incremental or full- it is always keep the count of objects in source and destination.

There are many blogs on Query builder in SCN forum. Go thorugh the blogs. Below is one of Mani's blog which is quite popular in SCN forum.

As i mentioned above, i followed exact same steps while i am doing the migration. There are many articles in SCN forum related to upgrade.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pavana,

You can install BI 4.1 on a new server first with required HW on the server. Please refer installation guide below.

https://websmp105.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000372202014E/sbo41sp4_bip_inst_win_en.pdf

Then the objects can be migrated using UMT from BO 3.1 to BI 4.1. Please refer upgrade guide below.

https://websmp201.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/012002523100009174702014E/sbo41sp4_bip_upgrade_en.pdf

Regards,

Hrishikesh