Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implementation of Barker notation

MountainKing
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

A couple of questions about PD's implementation of Barker notation.

1. I can't see the option to set a relationship as non-transferable (the 'diamond' icon). Short of implementing (say) an Extended Attribute to reflect this, is it possible in standard PD?

2. When generating a PDM from an LDM, is it still possible to implement only the leaf-subtyes as tables? Are there any plans to allow the choice of either supertype, subtypes or both (as you can in Oracle Designer)?

I'm using 16.5 SP03 PL03.

Thanks,

Antony

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member185199
Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes you can define an extended attribute:

1 add a new or existing extension to your CDM

2 edit this extension

3 if the Metaclass "BaseLogicalRelationship" from pdcdm not exists under profile then add it by rightclick

4 select Relationship, add an extended attribute and name it:

HTH

PS:

5 mark this answer as correct

MountainKing
Explorer
0 Kudos

That's great - thank you. But it won't display a diamond symbol on the diagram though, will it? This information would only be easily observed in a report.

Any insight on my second question? 🙂

former_member185199
Contributor
0 Kudos

To display the diamond you need some more modification, adding an icon or so, i never made it before so maybe reading the dokumentation could help here.

the second question i leave for the SAP internals wich better know the roadmap of their product.

you could open an enhancemet request for that?

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Antony, you can choose whether to generate parent and/or child entities as tables in other notations, via Inheritance objects, but not in Barker notation. Of course, you could add the properties yourself, and customise the PDM generation to replicate that available for other notations, but I wouldn't do that myself, so I suggest you either generate PDMs from a CDM or LDM using a different notation, or ask SAP if they have any immediate plans to do that using Barker.

I haven't used Oracle Designer for nearly 10 years, so I don't remember where it appears on the relationship line. It is possible to display the diamond in PD, by substituting the notation for part of the relationship symbol. I've done that in a simple model extension - I placed the symbol in the middle of the line, so it doesn't interfere with any optionality or cardinality notation.

I've also changed the Display Preferences to show the phrases '(Transferable)' or '(Not Transferable)' depending on the value of the 'Transferable' property I added in the model extension.

The model extension works for a CDM - see the attached file (you'll have to change the file extension to 'xem')

George