cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powerbuilder 7 crash when data window size is smaller than actual data in DB

0 Kudos

I've just started Powerbuilder and came to know this community. Could you advise how to avoid below problem?

In Powerbuilder 7 with Oracle Client 11g, it crashes in case data window column size(eg. Char 50)
is different from DB column size(eg. varchar 200), i.e. data window size is smaller than actual data size. We can't upgrade PB right now. How about substring function ? If it makes sense, can I have some sample code ? Many thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member190719
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Later versions handled this differently.  Some truncated the extra data.  Some cancelled the retrieve (without indicating there was a problem) at the record with the issue.

If you did a substring on the column you'd have to rewrite they datawindow query to include the substring.

It's much easier to update the datawindow to match the new column size.  I wrote a utility many years back that checked datawindow columns against the underlying table to make sure they matched.  It's still available on the old Sybase CodeXchange site:

http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1058501&id=1058501

Look for one called Column Width Checker.

There's a couple of others there too.  Once checks for new columns added to the tables, another checks to make sure any edit limits in the datawindow columns match the column lengths.

0 Kudos

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for your explain and "Column Width Checker". We'll try it asap. Thank you so much. Great day! Jeehye

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jee Hye;

FYI: The first PowerBuilder release that officially supported and was certified for Oracle 11G was  version PB 11.5!

http://www.sybase.ca/detail?id=1011566

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

FYI.  Going forward, the document listing support for Oracle with PowerBuilder is now listed under:

Support for Using PowerBuilder and Oracle - SAP PowerBuilder - SCN Wiki

Thanks,

Beverly Duquette

Former Member
0 Kudos

You have to change the DataWindow object so that the column size matches the database. That is the only thing you can do.

0 Kudos

Hi Roland,

Thank you so much for your prompt response. I like this community. In fact, Korea customer hoped to hear any other workaround. Sometimes, truth is painful. Thanks a lot! Jeehye