cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extracting from PSA for reporting, is this Reasonable?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is it normal (or reasonable) for a process, that is using BW to get it data, to do the extract from the PSA instead of the ODS or InfoCube?

I am not that familiar with BW, so I am learning this as I go.

We decided that it was a good idea to leverage an existing extract, and remove the filter from the extract, but then implement the filter (needed by only one process) between the PSA and the ODS.

Both processes would share the PSA area and the extract.

Each process would have its own ODS.

Today I was told that the existing process was extracting its data from the PSA area, for its report.

Is this even reasonable. 

Why would a process want to extract from the PSA area instead of the ODS or InfoCube?

Is there any advantage to this?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member186399
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Eileen,

You mean to say the report is picking up the data from PSA tables rather than any of the ODS or cube.

PSAs are for staging the raw data and are cleaned up as part of house keeping activities. So reporting on a PSA table will not be advisable at all.

But it also depends on what kind of data is getting reported from PSA. Is it related to data quality or row counts.

Please provide your feedback

Regards

GN

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I was told they were picking up the data from the PSA, and that they were concerned we had modified the nature of the data in the PSA to include more data, so that the same extract could be used by another process.

No, not related to quality data or row counts, related to the actual BOM data.

We also discovered that this PSA had not been cleaned out for a very long time. 

I am now hoping they were mistaken, and told me PSA when they meant ODS, I need to verify this with them.

But I wanted to verify with an expert that it was completely non standard (and not advisable) to extract the report from the PSA before I suggested they modify their process, instead of implementing multiple extracts, for the same data (and a very large data set).

Thank you.

former_member186399
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Eileen

Its not at all advisable to report from a PSA table when you have the ODS and cube which is only meant for reporting.

I think you have talk to them and have a better clarity as extracting from PSA has another meaning , it can be PSA data getting loaded into the ODS or Cube.

Regards

Gajesh

Answers (0)