cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant activate my instance for "Introduction to SAP Fiori UX"

Stefan-EA
Contributor
0 Kudos

Im trying to activate my SAP instance for the "Introduction to SAP Fiori UX" Open SAP course. No matter what I do, it always ends up in an undefined state (even after waiting for over an hour). How can I resolves this?  Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

what are the limits of your AWS account? Especially for r3.8xlarge types?

https://console.aws.amazon.com/ec2/v2/home?region=us-east-1#Limits:

Regards,

Hannes

Stefan-EA
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hannes

Here are the limits of my account.

Running On-Demand r3.2xlarge instances 5
Running On-Demand r3.4xlarge instance1
Running On-Demand r3.8xlarge instances1
Running On-Demand r3.large instances5
Running On-Demand r3.xlarge instances5
Stefan-EA
Contributor
0 Kudos

Now Im getting this error

Instance Operation Failed

Operation Start failed on step Allocate elastic Ips with message: Error creating static IPs; AMAZON : The maximum number of addresses has been reached.

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

similar question, what is the limit of elastic IPs for your account?

Regards,

Hannes

Stefan-EA
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hannes

My limits are as follows:

EC2-Classic Elastic IPs 5   

EC2-VPC Elastic IPs    5

Thanks,

Stefan

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

now I am out of ideas - my colleagues will get back to you shortly.

Thanks and Regards,

Hannes

stanimir_eisner
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

It seems that all elastic IPs have been already associated as we receive the following error message from AWS: The maximum number of addresses has been reached.

Could you release at least two elastic IPs? You will need to open the AWS Management Console.

Best regards,

Stanimir

Stefan-EA
Contributor
0 Kudos

Stanimir,

Releasing two IPs worked and the instance was able to start. Now when I click on Connect, I cant login via RDP as my pasword is not accepted.

The user is Administrator and the password is the one I entered when I created the instance. I tried this twice by terminating the instance and creating the instance  again.

Is there a way to reset the Admin password?   Thanks,

Stefan

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

I'm sure you did, but just checking - you waited until the instance in the UI was in the active state, right?

Hannes

stanimir_eisner
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

The only way to reset the password is to terminate the instance and then create a new one. I could not think about better solution than retrying with another password.

If you decide to do so it would be good to know that each retry starts a new billing hour in AWS.

BTW I just created a new instance and it worked for me as expected.

Best regards,

Stanimir

Stefan-EA
Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes. I tired again and waited a lot longer after the instance was fully activated and was able to logon!

Thank you Hannes and Stanimir for guiding me!

Stefan-EA
Contributor
0 Kudos

I ended up picking a new password and waited longer to login (even though my instance was active) and it worked.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stanimir

Thanks for getting back to me again.  I don't remember making a region choice - is there a way for me to find out what it is?

I'm assuming the Elastic IPs change will solve my problem.

I can never get the Instance's status to be anything other than 'Undefined'....

stanimir_eisner
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Nicholas,

As far as I see you are trying to instantiate "SAP ERP Foundation Extension powered by SAP HANA - Fully Activated Appliance Landscape Trial". Please correct me if I am wrong.

For this solution you can select between eu-central and us-east in SAP CAL.There is a drop-down with these two values in the instance creation wizard. Frankfurt (eu-central) should be much closer to you so perhaps it would be the preferred option.

Just to summarize please terminate the "undefined" instance, free at least two elastic IPs in one of the two regions and create a new instance selecting the same region.

Best regards,

Stanimir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stanimir

That seemed to work - thanks very much for your help.   can I ask you something else?

I'm trying to attach to the HANA Db using HANA Studio.  In the EE_Trial_Offer_UserGuide.pdf that is available with this HANA Trial it says I will find the IP Address of the HANA Instance on the SAP Cloud Applance Library.  The only IP Address I can see there is that of the SAP ECC instance that I am connecting to via SAP GUI.  I tried using this via HANA Studio and it failed.  I would imagine that the IP of the HANA database is not the same as that for the SAP system itself?   Is that right?  If so, how do I find the IP of the HANA instance?

XiaohuaWang
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

hi,

the IP address for ERP and HANA should be the same. BI has a different IP.

did you enter the instance number 02 when connecting to HANA DB in Studio?

regards, XH

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Xiaohua

Thanks for your help.  Yes, I did enter an instance number of 02

This is what I see in the log when I try to connect:

com.sap.ndb.studio.jdbc.JDBCConnectionStatus: Database connection is not available; see error log

at com.sap.ndb.studio.jdbc.JDBCPlugin.createConnection(JDBCPlugin.java:300)

at com.sap.ndb.studio.navigator.properties.JDBCPropertyPage$2$1.call(JDBCPropertyPage.java:375)

at com.sap.ndb.studio.navigator.properties.JDBCPropertyPage$2$1.call(JDBCPropertyPage.java:1)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Caused by: com.sap.db.jdbc.exceptions.JDBCDriverException: SAP DBTech JDBC: Cannot connect to jdbc:sap://54.93.194.116:30215 [Cannot connect to host 54.93.194.116:30215 [Connection timed out: connect], -813.].

at com.sap.db.jdbc.exceptions.SQLExceptionSapDB.createException(SQLExceptionSapDB.java:230)

at com.sap.db.jdbc.exceptions.SQLExceptionSapDB.createException(SQLExceptionSapDB.java:214)

at com.sap.db.jdbc.exceptions.SQLExceptionSapDB.generateDatabaseException(SQLExceptionSapDB.java:197)

at com.sap.db.jdbc.Driver.connect(Driver.java:192)

at com.sap.ndb.studio.jdbc.JDBCConnection$1.run(JDBCConnection.java:157)

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

stanimir_eisner
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Nicholas,

3 ports were not open by default in the new eu-central region: 50213, 50214 and 30215. This configuration issue was just fixed and the new instances will not have the problem.

In order to fix your running VM you will need to add the access points for these 3 ports by editing the instance in SAP CAL. Please select "SAP ERP 607 on SAP HANA SPS07" when adding the access points.

Best regards,

Stanimir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stanimir

Thanks again.  So do I need to remove this instance and start a new one?

<In order to fix your running VM you will need to add the access points for these 3 ports by editing the instance in SAP CAL. Please select "SAP ERP 607 on SAP HANA SPS07" when adding the access points.>

Sorry, but I'm not clear exactly what I do here - this is in SAP CAL and not the Amazon account?

stanimir_eisner
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Nicholas,

Starting a new instance will solve the problem but it is not required.

Editing the instance in SAP CAL is the much faster option. You can have a look at point 5 in https://cal.sap.com/console/~1415621202000~/doc_en/frameset.htm?9b23918d3515483caa5e7192e91fd9ca.htm...

Best regards,

Stanimir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stanimir

So when I go to add an Access Point I get the following options:

Service:

Port:

IP range: 

So I presume I do this three times, one each for ports 50213, 50214 and 30215?

And what do I put in IP range?

Thanks again for all your help,

stanimir_eisner
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Nicholas,

Yes, you have to add an access point for each of the three ports.

You may keep the default IP range 0.0.0.0/0 if you are not concerned that the ports will be open for everybody.

Best regards,

Stanimir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Stanimir

Thanks again.  When I add the Access Points do I choose Custom TCP, HTTP, HTTPS or SSH as the 'Service'?

stanimir_eisner
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Nicholas,

Please select Custom TCP for all 3 ports.

Best regards,

Stanimir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Stanimir

Thanks again for all your help.  I have everything working nicely now. 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello again Stanimir

I have been happily working on the HANA instance for a few weeks, but now when I try to 'Activate' the instance I get an error:   AMAZON:  Insufficient Capacity....

I looked at the EC2 dashboard but can't see any problems.

Any ideas?

stanimir_eisner
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Nicholas,

I would recommend to contact the AWS support. It seems that the new data center in Frankfurt reached its full capacity.

Best regards,

Stanimir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Stanimir

Thanks for the fast response.  I suspect it may be that the 30-day trail has expired

Do you know how I can convert this to a 'non-trial' system?

stanimir_eisner
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Nicholas,

For "non-trial" scenarios you will need to order the SAP CAL subscriptions.

You can find more details in .

Please note that you need to own a valid product license for the corresponding "non-trial/paid"solution in SAP CAL. Otherwise it will stay locked after you purchase the subscription.

Which solutions are you interested in? The full list of solutions is available in the Solutions tab of SAP CAL. Choose Paid in the drop-down.

Best regards,

Stanimir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Stanimir

Thanks again for your continued help.

<Please note that you need to own a valid product license for the corresponding "non-trial/paid"solution in SAP CAL.>

Not sure I follow that exactly.  Do you mean I have to purchase exactly the same offering as I have been trialing?  That is what I want to do - continue using the same system on an ongoing basis

stanimir_eisner
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Nicholas,

The trial offerings come with pre-configured, 30 day license keys and cannot be used to apply your own licenses keys. I afraid that it is not an option to continue using the same instance.

If you want to use the same solution in a non-trial scenario you would need to order the SAP CAL package, activate the corresponding "paid" solution, e.g. "SAP ERP Foundation Extension powered by SAP HANA - Fully Activated Appliance Landscape BYOL", create a new instance of it and apply your own licenses keys.

If you'd like I can send you in a private mail the list of "paid" solutions for which you own the required licenses keys, i.e. what you would get after purchasing the subscription.

Best regards,

Stanimir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Stanimir

Thanks.  Yes if you could send me a private email please?

stanimir_eisner
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Nicholas,

I have sent you a private email.

Best regards,

Stanimir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Stanimir

Thanks for the fast response.  Which region do I choose?  I am in the UK, and the nearest region in the drop down list was Ireland, but when I choose that it tells me I have no Elastic IPs in that Region

stanimir_eisner
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Nicholas,

You have to choose the region that you select in SAP CAL when create a new instance.

Regards,

Stanimir

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a similar issue.  I see that Stanimir  says:

"Could you release at least two elastic IPs? You will need to open the AWS Management Console."

I did not see in the AWS Management Console where to do this - can someone give me an idea please?

stanimir_eisner
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Nicholas,

It is under Services>EC2>Elastic IPs. Please do not forget to select the right region in the top right corner.

Best regards,

Stanimi

0 Kudos

HI guys,

Thanks Stanimir & Hannes for the advice. I had the same problem and tried to do as described with the EIP's, but in the end it didnt work. Maybe it was the combination that worked. I did release the EIP's, but also terminated the old instance and created a new one. Now it's up and running 

Kind regards,

Erik