Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workflow version Management

idrisahmed
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Workflow Experts,

I have requirement to add new functionality in existing workflow which is working fine. for the sake of back up for eixisting workflow can I keep older version as back up and add new funtionality in same workflow and test it.

and If anything goes wrong can i revert it back to existing workflow?

Please Help me on this issue.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Some guidelines:

1) As said by Rick, always use the "Generate version" functionality in the WF builder before you do changes. This way you will be able to find the old version and even revert to that if necessary

2) Even if you create a new version, be VERY careful when you decide to do any changes to the existing tasks. Tasks do not have versions.

3) The running workflow instances (the ones that have been started before your changes but are still in process when you transport your changes to test/production) continue to use the old version. This is exactly why you must be careful (for example with the tasks).

4) In some cases (when you are doing really big changes) it is even advisable to copy the existing workflow and do the changes to to the copy and then start using it (of course you need to do the relevant changes to the workflows starting logic also).

Regards,

Karri

former_member185167
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for giving that very useful advice, Karri.

idrisahmed
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you for reply. 

I have two doubt on versions

1. difference between "Generate version" and "Generate Runtime Version".

I started using Generate version with copy of workflow and new version is generated in Basic Data-->version overview .

2. if anything goes wrong then i can delete new version and older version will work as it is, correct ?

could you please confirm on this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

In workflow builder (transaction SWDD) choose from the menu Workflow -> Generate version. This is the right place to generate new version.

In the upper left corner in SWDD you will see the workflow ID. Under that there is a version drop down menu. You can find all the versions there (but only in development). If you don't like your new version, just choose an older version. I think that if you then activate it, it becomes the active version. 

Regards,

Karri

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member185167
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

When changing a workflow you should always do Generate Version. That way you can easily revert back to the older version if anything goes wrong, and it keeps a record of the versions in use.

regards

Rick Bakker