cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query on splitting ASCS and PAS

Former Member

Quick question All,

I referred the current SWPM procedure for 7.1 and higher on splitting ASCS and PAS.  I have a question here please. The first point in the Procedure has 2 items -1) Choose an instance number for the ASCS instance to be created.  and 2) Note that the message server port is not changed during the split.  I am wondering how can this be. I thought DVEBMGSXX will split into ASCSXX and DXX.  If point 1 holds good that means I can choose a port of my convenience and if point 2 is true, then that means I cant choose ASCS port of my liking. Both cant co-exist or am i missing something here. I basically want to have current port( Central CI port) to be used by PAS after split and this is not possible  if point 2 above holds good. We have several interfaces that are pointed to this port and we don't want to end up adapting all RFC interfaces and gateway ports etc. We don't have HA so SPOF is not an issue here.

Any thoughs here please

Regards
Kalyan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member186845
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Kalyan,

Adding further information to what Boris already explained here, you can read the following SAP KBA about Splitting Off ASCS from PAS I wrote:

2073500 - FAQ: Splitting off ASCS from PAS

The main cause the message server port is not changed during the is explained in question #5 of the document above:

--------

5. Why SWPM does not allow changing the Message Server port and it keeps
using PAS port?

As described in section Splitting
Off a Central Services Instance for ABAP from an Existing Primary Application
Server Instance
, the message server port is not changed during the

split.

Each SAP GUI Logon (end users) has the message server port information

locally saved in the services file (/etc/services on Unix/Linux or

C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\services on Windows). Also all RFCs to

externally communicate to another system are configured with the message server

port.

Therefore the tool cannot change the port during the process due to

configuration and communication reasons.

--------

I hope this information can be helpful as well for you.

Regards,

Henrique Girardi

SAP Active Global Support

BorisZarske
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Kalyan,

Although the default value for the message server port is derived from the instance number, this affects only the value offered in the corresponding dialog of software provisioning manager. So, you could change this value and also, it gets stored as message server port for a specific system ID (not for a specific instance number). Therefore, it will persist also the ASCS split where you end up with a different instance number. So, there is no direct connection between the message server port number (besides the default value offered by the tool), so that you can choose a different instance number for the ASCS instance split off while not changing the message server port.

I hope this clarified things.

Best regards,

Boris

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks Boris for taking time to respond.

I think that is where my confusion was.  If I can choose any free instance number for ASCS, let say i choose 04, then wouldn't message server port be 3604 while enqueue be 3204.You mention not chanding the messager server port while at the same time choosing any free port for ASCS and i am not sure on the concept here.  Also Can i also choose any free port for PAS. This way i have the ability to use existing integrated server port(DVEBMGSXX) on to the newly created PAS port(32XX).   I am not sure on the part where existing message server port can be retained as I actually thought changing ASCS port will also change Message server port after split.( I realise ASCS enqueue will use 32XX and message will use 36XX). Can you clarify.

Regards

Kalyan

BorisZarske
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Kalyan,

Splitting off the ASCS instance is something different than installing a new instance, maybe this is where your confusion comes from. So, in the split off procedure, we do not just install the instance newly, but split if off without changing all parameters - for example, the PAS and the ports do not get touched or re-created in this procedure per default.

But maybe I do not get your point, so maybe we should have a short call to discuss this point in person?

Best regards,

Boris

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks Boris. Yes thats where my confusion was. I actually executed this on my test system and i could see message server port and PAS remained unchanged so its a delight. I dont know if this will cause any problems with future upgrades as all new installations have same instance number tagged to Message and ASCS ports even though they use different series 36XX and 32XX respectively. I know it shouldn't matter but just a thought.

Thanks for taking time to respond. Appreciate it.

Regards

Kalyan

BorisZarske
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Kalyan,

Thanks a lot for your reply, always welcome!

No, this should not matter (otherwise, we would have to fix something ), as in custom mode, customers should be able to adapt the default values of the ports, so they are stored as full number, not with a reference to an instance number or something like this and our tools must not suppose any interdependencies between the single ports. But again, if you should face any issues here, please let me know .

Best regards + have a nice weekend,

Boris