Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

HCP VS HCI

Hello Everyone,

We would like to connect our ERP system (sap /non-sap) to cloud.

I would like to know the following:

1)Should we use HCP or HCI?

2)We would like to move custom applications from ERP system to cloud. how should this be done? Say java app's or abap procedures?

3)Considering if HCP already has cloud connector  to connect to on-premise system or another cloud,

what is the need to have HCI?

I am failing to understand the difference between HCP and HCI?

4)I think HCI just returns JSON or ATOM on consuming ODATA (webservice) and this JSON can then be used in our custom application which can be deployed on HCP?

Please help me with my understanding of the subject.

Regards,

Pooja M

Former Member replied

Hi Pooja M,

the cloud connector is dealing with secure and reliable technical connectivity between on-premise and the cloud. It can be used in combination with standard SOAP or REST libraries (e.g. Apache CXF for Java), as well as with JCo (SAP Java Connector API) for direct RFC-access to an on-premise ABAP system in point-to-point integration scenarios.

HCI for process integration is recommended for a2a or b2b integration scenarios, where processes need to be integrated. It is an ESB in the cloud and is used for brokered connections. You can use Enterprise Services and SOA architecture, it provides SOA qualities like security, monitoring, configuration, optimization, administration. It also provides features like routing or mapping.

It will soon also be possible to combine HCI and cloud connector - i.e. to use the connector for a secure connection from the cloud into the customer network underneath of HCI.

Regarding your data provisioning question: HCI comes in two flavors, HCI for process integration, and HCI Data Services for data provisioning. See also SAP HANA Cloud Integration – SAP Help Portal Page for more infos. 

Regarding your 3rd question: currently, HCP supports Java and HANA XS as runtimes. If you move applications into the cloud, you can use one of these runtimes. The HCP services are usually supported and available for both runtimes.

Best regards,

Timo

1 View this answer in context

Helpful Answer

by
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question