Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HCP VS HCI

former_member192811
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

We would like to connect our ERP system (sap /non-sap) to cloud.

I would like to know the following:

1)Should we use HCP or HCI?

2)We would like to move custom applications from ERP system to cloud. how should this be done? Say java app's or abap procedures?

3)Considering if HCP already has cloud connector  to connect to on-premise system or another cloud,

what is the need to have HCI?

I am failing to understand the difference between HCP and HCI?

4)I think HCI just returns JSON or ATOM on consuming ODATA (webservice) and this JSON can then be used in our custom application which can be deployed on HCP?

Please help me with my understanding of the subject.

Regards,

Pooja M

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JWiseman
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Pooja M,

if you mean "sap hana infrastructure services" for hci it is one of the 3 model / infrastructure choices of hana cloud platform (hcp).  if i recall correctly, hci is available only for currently licensed hana users.

however, if you go here to the marketplace for hcp you can find out more about the 3 different hcp models / infrastructures. if you click on each one's "Read Full Description" link you can get pdf's on technical aspects as well as solution briefs.

-jamie

former_member192811
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Jamie,

Firstly thanks for the response.

I suppose I have not articulated the question properly.

what I am trying to ask is that hana cloud platform offers connectivity service to connect to backend systems.

Likewise you have the hana cloud integration as an extended service of hana cloud platform.

I would like to know the foll:

1)when should the connectivity service be used and when hana cloud integration service be used since both cater to hybrid deployments?

2)Does data provisioning use either of them in cloud?

3)We would like to move custom applications from ERP system to cloud. how should this be done? Say java app's or abap procedures?

I am failing to understand the difference between Hana Cloud Platforms connectivity service  and Hana Cloud integration?

Regrds,

Pooja M

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pooja M,

the cloud connector is dealing with secure and reliable technical connectivity between on-premise and the cloud. It can be used in combination with standard SOAP or REST libraries (e.g. Apache CXF for Java), as well as with JCo (SAP Java Connector API) for direct RFC-access to an on-premise ABAP system in point-to-point integration scenarios.

HCI for process integration is recommended for a2a or b2b integration scenarios, where processes need to be integrated. It is an ESB in the cloud and is used for brokered connections. You can use Enterprise Services and SOA architecture, it provides SOA qualities like security, monitoring, configuration, optimization, administration. It also provides features like routing or mapping.

It will soon also be possible to combine HCI and cloud connector - i.e. to use the connector for a secure connection from the cloud into the customer network underneath of HCI.

Regarding your data provisioning question: HCI comes in two flavors, HCI for process integration, and HCI Data Services for data provisioning. See also SAP HANA Cloud Integration – SAP Help Portal Page for more infos. 

Regarding your 3rd question: currently, HCP supports Java and HANA XS as runtimes. If you move applications into the cloud, you can use one of these runtimes. The HCP services are usually supported and available for both runtimes.

Best regards,

Timo

former_member192811
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Timo,

Firstly, thanks a lot for the response.

Also why is it that cloud connector runs only on a 64 bit system?

And with regard to the 3rd question how  do we  move wdj applications to cloud considering the lean java server only supports webEE6 profile? Is it even possible?

In the hana clouds tool page i have seen sap jvm for 64 bit systems, is this required by scc? or the java applications running on lean java server. I could easily deploy app's on oracle jvm for 32 bit system.

Please let me know if my  understanding is in sync with how the product is designed to work.

Regards,

Pooja M

Ulrich_Schmidt
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Pooja,

the SCC requires a native library (C/C++) used for RFC communication, SecureStore and some other stuff. At the moment we are compiling this native library only for 64bit platforms. We didn't think it would be worth the effort to set up makes for the 32bit platforms, because "who is still using 32bit these days?"...

So you need to use a 64bit Java VM, otherwise you'll get strange errors and conflicts, as a 32bit JVM cannot load our library... Whether you use Oracle or the SAP JVM doesn't matter much. We recommend the SAP JVM because of the extra built-in support & tracing features (like jvmmon) and also because it is easier for us to guarantee long-term maintenance and patches for our JVM.

Best Regards, Ulrich

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pooja M,

Ulrich already explained why we only support 64 bit OS. Basically it is a product management decision as we don't see relevance of 32-bit support for productive scenarios.

Regarding WDJ (Web Dynpro Java, right?): we don't support this on SAP HANA Cloud Platform. The UI layer we actively support is SAP UI5, an HTML5 JavaScript library. But in general, an application can decide on its own to use and bring by itself whatever UI library needed. If there is a Web Dynpro Java version supported, that can be packaged with the application, this would also be an option (though, I am not sure if there is such a WDJ version supported).

Regarding JVM, HCP requires a 64-bit  version (both the Java runtimes, and the Cloud Connector). For the SCC and your local Eclipse / HCP environment, you can chose which JVM provider to use.Of course, we recommend SAP JVM.

Best regards,

Timo

former_member192811
Participant
0 Kudos

thanks 🙂

former_member192811
Participant
0 Kudos

thanks 🙂

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Pooja and All,

In my opinions, The HCI belongs to the HCP. It means the HCI is a part of HCP. Two of all based on SOA(Service-oriented Architecture) for  Enterprise informatization.

Many thanks & best regards,

Hubey