Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSO to ABAP BSP without client

vladimir_kogan4
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear colleagues.

In our scenario not-domain user need to reach ABAP BSP (ITS) application without entering password for ABAP WAS.

Is there any option to use SAP Netweaver Single singon-on 2 server to create redirection URL?

Regards

Vladimir

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

tim_alsop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To make sure I understand... You want to have a user logon without being asked for user id and password, but the user is not in an Active Directory domain user. Is this correct ? If so, when do you plan to authenticate this user so you know who they are ? Please explain the flow of events you want the user to perform during logon to their device/workstation through to logon to the ABAP BSP.

Thanks

Tim

vladimir_kogan4
Participant
0 Kudos

Ok, let I ask my question  in different way.

I have a workstation that is not a part of domain (AD).

I need the open the URL to ABAP BSP without  entering user/password.

Which options I have  and how SAP NW SSO2 server can help me here?

Thank you

Vladimir

tim_alsop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If workstation is not joined to domain, the user will have logged onto the workstation using a local user account. Are you wanting to link this local Windows user id to the SAP user id so the user doesn't get asked to authenticate again ?

tim_alsop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do you want the user to be asked to be able to enter AD account and password when they open the URL for the ABAP BSP ?

vladimir_kogan4
Participant
0 Kudos

No. I am expect for any certificate that I can import into a browser.

tim_alsop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can do this without any additional products. The standard NetWeaver ABAP software supports client certificate user authentication, so you can configure this per the NetWeaver documentation and install the user's certificate into their browser. You would need to find a way to renew the certificate when it expires, and if the same workstation is used by multiple users, you would have to find a way to know which user is logged onto the workstation so that it is not possible for one user to logon to SAP using the certificate of another user.

vladimir_kogan4
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you!

Bu of I already have SAP NW SSO 2 , can it help me ( or simplify the process  ) with creating such certificates?

tim_alsop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As far as I am aware, the Secure Login Server (SLS) provided with the SAP NW SSO 2 product can only issue a certificate after the user has authenticated, so it knows which user to issue the certificate for. For example, it can use SPNEGO to authenticate the domain user logged onto the workstation and issue a certificate for this user. In your case you are not having any user authentication before the logon, so this is why I was asking how user is going to be authenticated.

vladimir_kogan4
Participant
0 Kudos

There is no authentication. It should be certificate, like one we have for SAP SMP, for example.

tim_alsop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, I understand. As I mentioned, you can issue a certificate and store it in browser (like you do with SMP). However, the SLS product is designed to issue short lived certificates and in order to know which certificate to issue it need to authenticate the user using some other method first. If it was possible for SLS to issue a certificate for a user without them authenticating first, then it would be possible for one user to get a certificate issued for another user and this would cause security issues.

Kaempfer
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

you can use SAP SSO with SLS. The users don't have to be in an AD. So the users can be in SAP or in an LDAP. The user has to type in one time user and password, get a certificate and the SSO is available.

Regards

Matthias

tim_alsop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

When you generated your certificate for SMP you will have provided authentication details, e.g. your s-user id and password and based on that authentication the SMP was able to issue your certificate for SMP SSO.

vladimir_kogan4
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you

What is SLS?

vladimir_kogan4
Participant
0 Kudos

You are right. But in SMP I need to enter user and password once to receive the certificate until it expired.

tim_alsop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SLS = Secure Login Server. This is the product included with SAP NW SSO 2 that issues certificates after user has authenticated.

tim_alsop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, correct. When using SLS, this product is designed to issue short lived certificates, so requires authentication each time the certificate is issued. If you want to use certificates that are long lived then you need to issue them using your certificate authority enrolment and store them in browser like I suggested earlier. Then you need to find a way to renew them when they expire.

vladimir_kogan4
Participant
0 Kudos

Can NW SSO2 Server be such a certificate authority or not?

tim_alsop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No, I don't think so. The SLS is designed to issue short lived certificates after authenticating a user, and is not a full function CA. If you want to issue certificates that are long term and store them in browser so they persist between workstation reboots etc. then you need to use a CA such as Microsoft Certificate Authority.

Kaempfer
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Vladimir,

SAP SSO issues certificates and deliver it automatically to the PC of the user (short living certificates -> 24 h standard), so it can be used for SSO. It is not a traditional CA. In a traditional CA you have to take care about the certificate lifecylcle which can be very costly but you can use the certificate for a longer timer. SAP SSO works with short living certificates, so you do not have to take care about the lifecylcle of the certificate.

So if you really want to have a "password free" solution, you have to use long lived certificates but take a care about the lifecycle (maintain certificates which are not valid anymore and distribute this information to all related systems, ..... ). Otherwise you have a security problem.

So it is really all about the use case (deployment, security requirements, ...), but you know now the options and you can decide dependig on the use case.

Another option is of course SAP Logon Tickets or SAML. But both also reguire an initial authentication without an AD.

Regards

Matthias

vladimir_kogan4
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you.

SAP SSO works with short living certificates, so you do not have to take care about the lifecylcle of the certificate.

I think you meant I have

Kaempfer
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

With SAP SSO you do not have long living certificates. So there is not  a full blown lifecycle management necessary. After the configured time the certificate is useless and not valid for the next 2 years like long term certificates.

But again, it depending on your use case and security requirements.

Regards

Matthias

Answers (0)