Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSO Partitioning on 7.3 Adv & Dis Adv

sowdip
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have few huge DSO's >200 GB kind and this data is for a year. We delete (Selective Deletion) data regularly retaining 6th months rolling.

But the problem occurs when space is not released as expected and occupies Fragmented size.

Re-org is currently not an option as we have customer process challenges with BASIS.

If I create DSO partitions on month ,

1) Will space gets released , not occupying fragmented space.

2)  Any

DSO Loading and activation impact ( SID Gen is set to inactive)

Thanks,

Prashanth

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

did you try< to use DSO based SPO instead of DB partitioning?

You could set up a dynamic partitioning for the DSO.

But of course this needs reloading the data and changing the data flow, process chains.

Regards,

Jürgen

sowdip
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Jurgen,

Frankly, I have not attempted SPO and also this is a staging DSO. I'll have to analyse the impact on dependent targets too.

I need to know will DB partitioning help me.

Thanks,

Prashanth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Partitioning on the active table of the DSO should improve the performance. This is a new concept in BW 7.3 where you can partition on the DSO.

Regards,

Suchitra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

as DB partitioning will create an own partition for each month you define, not needed space should get released. The problem is with the first and last partition, which contains data before the first period and after the last period. This partition can have potentially multiple periods. If you selectively delete data from this partitions it may be fragmented and not be released.

As far as I know the partitons can not be defined dynamically. For this you need an SPO.

For performance reasons not more than 20partitions are recommended, which makes a range of nearly two years. After this period you should delete the data and repartition if for the next 20 months.

For all these reasons ,check efforts to integrate a SPO into your data flow instead.

Regards,

Jürgen

sowdip
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Jürgen,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I definitely check if SPO fits into my data flow. If it does, I'll consider it as a long term solution.

But I'm in bit of hurry , so my plan is to create DB partition for 3 years and continue with selective deletion.

I'm ok, if fragmentation is less than 5%. But today its almost 45% of actual size.

Rgds,

Prashanth.