cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Combo box at the backend

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am using combo box at the backend to filter rows to a particular destination.

The problem is the labels are going to populate at the runtime and the selection of item in combo box is also going to populate at the run time. I have an icon which inserts eg: country in a cell, then this cells is used by combo box as a item selection(label) to filter rows from source. But unfortunately the comb box is not selecting any value i.e no item is selected dynamically. But if i manually drill down it is working but the label is not changing dynamically based on the changes in label by icon.

For eg my data:

Country and profit populate at run time

Country          Profit

India               5000

Germany        4000

Now i have icon which selects country (hard coded in excel) upon clicking the mouse on it and inserts in A1 suppose the value hardcoded is "India". Now this A1 is used as a "selected item" for combo box. the source to combo box is the above country and profit which populates at run time.

Now when i execute the dashboard. The value is inserted in A1 after clicking the icon but it is not picked up by combo box as "item selected" and hence combo box does not filter any data.

Can any pls help.

Thank you. I will award full points for correct solution.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (9)

Answers (9)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone for the replies.. sorry for lat response.

I know i am using combo box the right way not making mistake.  I am using query browser to connect to BW queries. I am using BI 4.0 SP6

The problem is when your labels and source both are dynamic and populate when dashboard is refreshed, it is in this situation combo box doesnt work.

I tried putting static labels hardcoded, and it works but when labels are populated dynamically it doesnt. I don't know if this is corrected in later version.

Any work around ??

arijit_das
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

may be you can apply some sequence in connection refresh so that both connections do not refresh simultaneously.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Unfortunately not possible because labels are part of source data. Both will come together

Former Member
0 Kudos

sometime this happens, you may try that by using position !

same thing happens but by position number. so if the position is 1 india is selected and 2 then germany !!!!

i may help you if needed a teamviewer guidance !

Thanks

Yash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks yash for your response.

can you pls elaborate your solution? In my case labels are populating along with source dynamically.

former_member182541
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

First check the data/label mapping and the source cells mapping, to populate the combo box by default values use "Dynamic" as selected item type.

To know about the combo, go-to file menu-->samples-->user guide samples-->ignore end blanks.

saurabh_sonawane
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

make sure label name India must be some in ur combobox label.

combobox label is a case sensitive so make sure the label ur passing is some as the label present in the combobox (india)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Monammed,

The said functionality should work. Please check your logic one more time. Also, try using some spreadsheet components mapped to the cells in question and understand how the data is flowing during run-time. This will help you test things. Delete spreadsheets when you are done with identifying the issue.

Lets check the combo box mapping one more time : Map the source of the combo to the entire range; labels in the combo box ONLY to the country column in the source range(typically this may be the left most column in the range); selected item should be mapped to the cell that has the destination for the icon and the type for default selection may be dynamic. Well, if there is any hard-coding of values involved anywhere, do check the spellings and other trivial things.
Do let me know if this was helpful and if you need any more help.

Thanks,

Prasanna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasanna,

appreciate your response. I have done this already, Pls check my latest reply to this post.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is it possible for you to upload the xlf? it will be useful in troubleshooting.

former_member190855
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mohammed

Make sure

The combo box setting - Label = India and Germany (those two cells)

Selected item type = Label

If that does not work, change the type to Dynamic and see if that works.

Runali

former_member194862
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

With the static dashboard this works fine so which connection are you using in the dashboard,also check if there are any VLOOKUPS used.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Query browser to connect bw queries.

no vlookups. Its a complete dynamic dashboard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Omer ,

Also check the refresh options set by you.

arijit_das
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You must be doing something wrong in binding labels of the combo-box. can you please share some screenshots of how you are designing the excel model ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arjit,

Find the screen shot attached