cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting error message "invalid formaula that cannot be compiled"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have installed SAP Crystal Report Viewer 2008, when tries to open output file that has RPT extension, getting error message "this report contains invalid Crystal Reports formulas that cannot be compile".

It seems it requires some DLL files that we already have but we dont know where to place it on SAP Crystal Report Viewer program files folder.

Please help me in resolving this error.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Manish Gupta

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Manish

Please disregard DJ's posts...

UFLs are supported by all versions of CR and CR viewers.

The error may be caused by a number of variables

Data inconsistency

Missing custom UFLs

Incorrect formula

and more.

I do find your statement:

It seems it requires some DLL files

interesting and wonder if you can tell us why you think this is the case.

Also, do you know if the report is using any custom ufl?

And, you do not mention if the viewer is installed on a computer that has the CR designer installed or not. If not, instal the viewer on a computer that has the CR designer. Can you run the report in the viewer on that computer?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

we were getting same error with Crystal report Editor 2008, the reason is missing custom DLLs in crystal report program files. Then we placed all the files to C:\Program Files\Business Objects\BusinessObjects Enterprise 12.0\win32_x86, and it worked.

Now because we cannot installed editor on end user machine, so we installed

SAP Crystal report viewer 2008 for Windows from below link: 

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-29774, and we did not find similar folder structure as editor on viewer program files, that why we are strugulling where to place those custom DLLs to make crystal report viewer work same as editor.

hope i explained all your questions and the issue I am facing.

thanks.

Manish Gupta

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Manish,

If the report contains formulae that reference UFLs then it will Not work in the CR Viewer.

Following are the kind of reports that don't work with the free (standalone) CR Viewer per this SAP Note:

1.  Reports that have no saved data, unless they are being accessed online from BusinessObjects Enterprise and you have the appropriate rights.

2.  Reports that use Business Views as a data source.

3.  Reports that use universes as a data source. (Static instances of reports that use universes will open if these reports are downloaded from BusinessObjects Enterprise.)

4.  Reports that use Crystal Dictionaries as a data source.

5.  Reports that use Crystal Queries as a data source.

6.  Reports that depend on UFLs

7.  Reports that are successfully using "Perform Grouping on Server". (That is, the generated report SQL contains a "group by" clause.)

If you want UFLs to work with the Viewer, please have a look at the 3rd-party Crystal report viewers listed at: http://www.kenhamady.com/bookmarks.html

-Abhilash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manish,

UFL's are not supported in Crystal Reports Viewer 2008 yet.

usually C:\WINDOWS\assembly..

--DJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dhananjay,

Thanks for your quick and prompt reply.

what is ufl and do I need to do anything on C:\WINDOWS\assembly..

How to resolve this error?

thanks again in advance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manish,

The Crystal Reports Formula Editor can access User

-Defined Functions through a User Function Library (UFL). A User Function Library is a specially designed Dynamic Link Library that exposes one or more functions that you create. UFLs can be designed and programmed in any language that supports the development of Windows DLLs.

The 32-bit version of Crystal Reports Professional Edition includes the User Function Library U2LCOM.DLL. This UFL is installed in your \Program Files\Common Files\business objects\3.5\bin directory when you install Crystal Reports and provides an interface through which you can expose User-Defined Functions in Automation Servers.

Place it here: C:\Program Files\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports 2011\Crystal Report Viewer

Regards,

DJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

i downloaded SAP Crystal report viewer 2008 for Windows for below link:

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-29774

and that has got below folder structure:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Business Objects\Crystal Reports Viewer 2008

I tried to place those dlls in all folder but no luck

Please help me...

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Manish,

Crosstabs with calculated members or conditional formulae could cause issues like these.

Try commenting one formula at-a-time to zero-in on a formula that might be the potential cause of the report not working from the Viewer.

P.S: Since you're using the CR Viewer 2008, I hope the report is developed in CR 2008 too.

-Abhilash

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Abhilash,

I know those are formulas thats requires DLL that i mentioned...but the issue is that where to please those dll so that crystal viewer can compile and execute those functions.

additionally, the rpt file is out put file generated by crystal editor 2008 source code only...we are trying to open the output file to see the output/result.