cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Primary application server migration.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Our current existing ECC server has Database Instance and Central services Instance on one host which is clustered with the primary application server is on another host. Both are installed on AIX 6.1 OS.

Now we need to migrate the existing Primary application server from AIX to Windows server 2012, but the Central instance and Database instance will remain on AIX itself, kindly let me know is it possible ? How should I proceed?

Regards,

Sahani,

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is this issue resolved ?

Regards,

Pramod

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Current KERNEL level of the Central instance is "KERNEL_REL 720, Patch level 300" , Oracle client version is "OCI_102 10.2.0.2" but oracle database version is "11.2.0.2"

Now our requirement is to migrate the existing Application server which is installed on AIX 6.1 to Windows server 2012.

To install the Application server on windows we require the media for KERNEL (51047209_6) and Oracle client(Media for Oracle client version OCI_102 10.2.0.2 is not available on the SAP Marketplace, so how should I manage this?)

But how should I identify the Patch level of KERNEL level after installing the app server with this media(51047209_6)?

As Standard requirement is KERNEL level and Oracle Client version should be same on Central Instance and Application Server.

Kindly suggest how to match both the kernel levels and Oracle client version during installation of Application server on Windows.

Regards,

Sahani,

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Use the latest 10G Oracle Instant Client software.

I can see the kernel archives SAPEXE_300-10007272.SAR and SAPEXEDB_300-10007270.SAR patch level 300 available for Windows.

Install the system with the available media and then update the kernel on all the nodes to the latest one or using the one I mentioned.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Existing production server Kernel version is 720 UC, package level 300, so I need to use the following kernel media to install the application server?

But how should I know that, what is the package level in the above kernel media?

and existing production server oracle version is 11.2.0.2, so I need to use the following oracle client media to install the application server?

Kindly suggest,

Regards,

Sahani,

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Keep you aix PAS down.

Install using above media.

Once installation is done, stop PAS and change the kernel to the required level.

That's what I think however check notes and guide once.

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Start from 1825724 - SAP Software Provisioning Manager has replaced SAPINST and the SAP Installation Master Media as of SAP Netweaver 7.0 SR3 or greater.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Existing production server having the EHP5 ECC6.0 on platform AIX 6.1, Oracle 11g and SAP Kernel 720 patch 300.

Now we need to migrate the existing Primary application server from AIX to Windows server 2012.

So which kernel and oracle client should I provide for during new Primary application server installation?

Kindly suggest how to deal with the Kernal and Oracle client while installation of the new Primary application server.

Regards,

Sahani,

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Use the same version for your target system.

Once installation is done update kernel for PAS and ASCS.

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

You need to use kernel archives based on OS and DB and the patch level should be same. Also the Oracle Instant Client for Windows should be used

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you don't keep the kernel at same level of windows and aix then you would get kernel mismatch error in logs and dumps like ddic inconsistency.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am confused in the Central instance and Primary application server.

Kindly let me know what is the difference between the Central instance and Primary application server? So it will easy to understand the other things for me.

Kindly suggest.

Regards,

Sahani,

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

You may refer this.

Regards

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Also check my 1st reply on your query for the HA setup on how to install.

Refer

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Yes. You need to install CI on the Windows machine. A system copy can let you achieve this.

Check this SAP note 1148109 - Heterogeneous Inst.(Appl. Server Windows, DB Unix)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reagan,

We need to migrate only Primary application server, Central instance will remain on AIX server.

Database is ORACLE.

Regards,

Sahani,

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Sahani

My initial reply is to this request. The DB will be on AIX and you are just moving the CI. This is called a Heterogeneous installation. What you can do here is use sapinst to install the CI on the Windows machine.

If the ASCS stays with the DB node then you can install an additional AS on the Windows server.

Check this installation guide from chapter 7.8

https://websmp202.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/012002523100010938582014E/nw71x_ux_ora_abap.pdf

If I select the HA - Central Instance installation in sapinst then I believe the installer expects the ASCS to be on the same host. (I might be wrong)

Regards

RB

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

You need to use the high availability option to install PAS from SWPM on your windows server.

As you already are using HA in your landscape so installing CI in not required. With further adjustment your ASCS and DB will remain on AIX and will connect yo PAS.

This is what I think it should be.

For more refer guides and notes on SMP.

Regards,