cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Depreciation amount update in AS91 for legacy asset transfer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am transferring some assets from my legacy system to SAP . They are capitalised on 01.05.2013. The total depreciation amount till 2014 july is 650.

When I update it in Take over value accumulated depreciation, system takes that amount as the depreciation amount for previous year.

My requirement is I should update this 650 as entire depreciation amount posted till July.Please let me know, how this can be achieved.

Regards

SR

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182098
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Accumulated depreciation you should enter until the last fiscal year.

During the depreciation that you have posted during the current year should be posted as "depreciation posted"

If you have capitalized the assets during the current year, then you should enter them as transactions with acquisition and depreciation values.

Hope this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI ,

Thanks for the reply.

The asset is capitalised last year. SO out of the amount 650 , a portion , say 400 is last fiscal years depreciation. And rest 250 is current year depreciation.

So in this case, should I simply put 400 in the accumulated depreciation? Because system will automatically post that 250 amount for current year in the coming depreciation run.

Please let me know, if my understanding is correct.

Regards

SR

former_member182098
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Swastik,

You are partially correct and partially incorrect.

Correct - Inputting 400 in accumulated depreciation in AS91 is correct.

Incorrect - "System will automatically post that 250 amount" - This is not correct.

You also need to input 250 in AS91 at another field space, which is "Depreciation Posted" which usually you see the bottom side of AS91 values tab. You need to input 250 manually over there while loading.

For example if your take over date is 31st of July and go live is 01st of August (presuming your fiscal year is April to March), and you have posted your legacy depreciation in your legacy system until 31st of July, then your configuration should state:

Last posted depreciation is 04 XXXX (XXXX is your fiscal year)

Your take over date in the configuration should be 31.07.2014

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Ravi ,

Thanks. The problem is, the Depreciation posted field is greyed out.

I am getting an information message as below, showing why the same is greyed out.

This is because the deprecition is already posted.

Why I told system will automatically post is, when the next depreciation is run for the currentyear, system will anyways calculate this 250, and will post in the next depreciation run.

Please let me know, where I am getting it wrong.

Regards

SR

former_member182098
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Usually, is once you created an asset in AS91 and saved it, then in AS92, the depreciation posted field is greyed out. This is the behaviour of this field.

Therefore, you should create a new asset with AS91 and see if you can input depreciation posted during the current year.

If your depreciation posted is greyed out, you should relook your configuration setting.

I would NOT expect the system to post the depreciation of 250. If this is the case, then obviously, you would have the difference between the system calculated amount and the amount that you have posted in your legacy books for the current year, which is not acceptable by finance department, as the books are already closed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Thanks , FOr AS91, the field is editable.

Still, on the question of system calculating the depreciation of 250. Suppose its a case where the depreciation posted in legacy and the sap calculated depreciation(rate and amount) are exactly similar. In this case, wouldnt system posting the depreciation would be correct ?

Regards

SR

former_member182098
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Swastik,

If would never be same, it would at least end up some pence difference due to rounding difference. You are only looking at one asset, when you load thousands of assets, the difference could still be in few hundred due to rounding.

Even if there both are same, in such situations also, I would still go with entering the Posted Depreciation during the current year. This is the best practice.

You need to relook your configuration.

Please check OAYC configuration and your last posted depreciation period and year.

Please check the cut over date in your configuration.

Best Regards,

Ravi

Marssel700
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Swastik,

like Ravi mentioned you should have enter field Depreciation posted. In case you had depreciation run, this field wasn't available as you noticed.

I had a situation like this before. The company didn't agree in create new Assets or reset posted depreciation thus the solution was to adjust the depreciation start date and useful life. They were enabled to accept it. You can check this availabiliy.

In other hand if you have no other assets already in operation you can delete Depreciation posted. Check folowing note and transaction OAGL:

127185 - Which values are deleted by program RABUCDEL?

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Thanks again.

I am giving the complete picture now.

The company code is already live and its acquiring some new entities assets.

I have mentioned the take over date as 01.07.2014 . Have kept the depreciation last posted as 005, 2015 . (Please note that here, here the cyle is december to january. So the date 01.07.2014 belongs to fiscal year 2015 and period 006)

Now, for one perticular asset, the APC is 3400. The depreciation posted is 793.35.

Total useful life is 05 years(60 months).   .

When I say depreciation posted , it is previous year + this years depreciation, posted till period 007.

Depreciation start date is 01.06.2013 and the expired useful life is 08. months

Now As per your instructions, I have split the amount to 340 for current year(2015)(in dep posted)and 453.33 in accumulated depreciation.

Below is how it looks.

Please let me know, if its fine.

And also let me know, if the correct way would be to, always split the amount between fiscal year and current year , as mentioned above.

Regards

SR

former_member182098
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi SR,

Your asset take over date should be 30.06.2014 instead of 01.07.2014 in your configuration. I know 01.07.2014 is your go-live date.

Just change this and let me know, probably, I will give you a more details reply tomorrow.

Time to catch train 🙂

Best Regards,

Ravi

former_member182098
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If your cycle is Dec to Nov, then I would expect the 01.07.2014 is period 8 but not period 6 (Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul)

If the depreciation start date is 01.06.2013, I would expect your depreciation must have been posted only for six months (June, July, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov). That means +3400 / 60 = 56.67*6 = 340. Whereas in your screen shot the it is showing as 453.34

If your last depreciation is period 05, 2015, then you have posted your depreciation until April. (Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr). For five months you should have posted taken in AS91 as 283.35, whereas you have taken as 340, which is incorrect.

If you observe there is also period 7 is missing in your depreciation calculation, could be this is how the take over dates are maintained. The take over date should be 30.06.2014, but not 01.07.2014.

You need to confirm with the business what they are expecting, accordingly you need to work out the data load / configuration.

Hope the above points would be helpful.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Ravi,

Thanks for the reply.

In the system, 01.07.2014 is 06 2015 .

As the depreciation start date is 01.06.2013, its starting from period 05, 2014 to 12, 2014. So it is 8 months. Thats why under accumulated depreciation, I maintained 8*56.67 that is 453.34 .

and rest of 340, I maintained in depreciation posted.

Depreciation of period 7 is clubbed with period 8, as the next available depreciation posting period is 8.

As per the take overdate, I think the significance is that, technically, you can transfer assets on dates earlier than this date.

Please let me know your thoughts on this and also, let me know, if it is a usual practice to split the amount in to previous year and current year depriciation value in as91.

Regards

SR

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marssel,

Thanks for your answer.

In my case also, the depreciation is already posted. So even I would have to go with some work arround.

Just wanted to know , if we make the APC value and the depreciation value blank in the AS92, the asset wont be considered for depreciation.Then what is the issue with creating a new asset?

Also please let me know, if we have a cumulative depreciation amount of current year and previous year acc dep value, , is it a common practice to split the amount and put in acc dep and posted dep in AS91?

Regards

SR

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Request your advise on the above.

Regards

former_member198650
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Swastik,

I think you are uploading legacy assets during the fiscal year. Before uploading the asset you have to maintain take over date as 31.07.2014 and mentioned depreciation posted in OAYC as July'2014. After that upload the asset using AS91. Here you have to maintain the APC transactions & depreciation transaction separately.  For APC you can use tty 100 and for dep.you can use 610.

Regards,

Mukthar