cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to reserve the page size when exporting to MS Excel 2010

former_member533461
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello. I have a report which exports to MS Excel 2010. I applied the page size as legal in Crystal Report and would like to use the same page size in Excel

However, MS Excel print preview says the page size is letter.

How could I keep the same page size in Excel as I applied in Crystal Report. We have a lot of business reports and would like to avoid applying page setting manually in Excel when users print them out each time.

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Christine

I am in the process of writing a doc on the different options in CR and the "No Printer" option sis one of those. Seeing this post, made me wonder as this looked like a questionable behavior. My testing does not support your observations. Now, I did a very simple test;

Created a report, set "No Printer", set the paper size and legal orientation. Exported to XLS - any format, and the export maintained legal paper size in all instance. I did a few other variations, but I can never get the report to export anything other than Landscape.

Can you  please let me know the version of CR you are using?

You may also want to attach the report here with saved data (to attach rename the rpt to txt, then in the reply hit on the "Use advanced editor" link and attach.

BTW.; I am using CR 2013.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

I tried this on CR 2011. With the 'No Printer' option checked and the paper size set to 'Legal', the only thing that carries over to Excel is the 'Orientation'. If the report's 'Orientation' is set as 'Portrait' then that's what Excel inherits; if the Orientation is 'Landscape' then Excel correctly inherits that as well.

However, the Page Size itself defaults to 8.5' x 11' no matter what Page Size is selected on the report.

Are we experiencing different behaviours in CR 2011 and CR 2013?

P.S: Thanks for the document, as always!

-Abhilash

former_member533461
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

I am using CR2011. I am working with confidential data, so I cannot attaceh the report here..But the situation was that the orientation setting was reserved to Excel as Abhilash described. Please let me know if you would want me to give you further details.

Abhilash - Thank you for providing the information!

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, I eat crow. Thanks Abhilash LOL

Abhilash is correct and I need to read the threads a bit more carefully. The option is "No Printer (optimize for screen display). As the printer driver dependency is removed, the paper size information is not propagated on export and thus paper size defaults to 8 1/2 X 11 inches (as it has to default to something). This is true for all paper sizes and export formats. I tested the above with Legal paper size and 4'' X 6'' paper size. Export to XLS, DOC and PDF.

E.g.; once again, note to self; trust Abhilash

- Ludek

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Christine,

This seems to be caused by the 'No Printer' option.

When you check the 'No Printer' option, CR doesn't tie the report to a default printer however, when you export the report to Excel the settings are not inherited and Excel seems to pick the settings from the default printer (and hence defaults to A4 Letter).

Uncheck the 'No Printer' option > Check 'Dissociate Formatting Page Size and Printer Size' > Export.

-Abhilash

former_member533461
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Abhilash,

I just tried the way you described and it worked!! Thank you so much.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Christine,

I work around this issue abhilash suggested best approach and its worked...

Thanks,

DJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Christine,

First of all Set the page setup in Crystal reports Like this:

After Export to excel then the same page settup coming defaulty..

Thanks,

DJ

former_member533461
Participant
0 Kudos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Christine,

Your setting is correct but  second picture shows letter small thats why i showed that page size,

Go head and give more updates...

Happy Reporting...

Thanks,

DJ

former_member533461
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi DJ. Sorry for confusing you.. The second one is the page setting in the exported Excel. I wanted to show that the page setting is not preserved into exported Excel file, althogh the setting in Crystal Reports. I would like to know why it is not preserved and how I can fix this issue.. Thank you.