cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP ERP 6.0 EHP7 upgrade optimal resources

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am performing EHP7 up gradation on SAP ERP 6.0.

SYSTEM H/W: 8 CPU's   50 GB RAM

DB: oracle 11.2.0.5.0

SAP source release : ERP 6.0

SAP target release : ERP 6.0 including EHP 7

I have performed above said activity on test system / development system / quality system /production system. The time to complete different systems varied beyond my expected/planned values.

I understood that there are users logged into production system till pre processing stage of SUM tool.So the long running phases (ACT_UPG , SHADOW_IMPORT , etc ) took approximately double the time than other systems.

May i know various other other reasons ,for productions system , which reduces performance (in terms of run time).Is there any ways to improve performance (in terms of run time) .

I have increased R3trans processes,Batch process to higher values during configuration phase of SUM tool.What are the optimal values which can be given in for fast upgrade.

thanks & regards

uday reddy

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Uday,

Did you have same resources like CPU and RAM on all the systems  test/DEV/QAS/PRD ?

SAP system upgrade runtime will depend on following parameters

1) CPU and RAM on the server

2) Upgrade strategy downtime minimized or resource minimized

3) DB size

4) Number of customization

5) Number of R3trans processes used for the upgrade

6) Database parameter tuned or not

7) User load on the system

😎 I/Os available from the storage for that particular SAP system

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

First read the SAP note 1616401 - Understanding parallelism during the Upgrades, EhPs and Support Packages implementations to understand how you can make use of parallelism when you are doing an upgrade. There is no point in having more R3trans processes assigned when there is no sufficient resources available on the server. In order to make effective use of this you should make sure there is enough CPU and memory available on the system.

The activation phase is expected to run for a long time but there are possibilities to improve the performance by adapting the memory parameters of the shadow system. You may refer to these SAP notes 1674812 - Performance improvement for ACT_UPG

1223360 - Composite SAP Note: Performance optimization during import

1897538 - Long runtimes when accessing DD27S in ACT_UPG phase

Regards

RB