Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shelf Life Issue

former_member216607
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear SAP,

We have a scenario where we maintain the shelf life of a finished product is for 24 month, which we maintained in Master data also.But some time we know that the shelf life will be less as per maintain in master date, so will change the shelf life to 20 month, but later after doing GR it come back to 24 month which should not be happen, it should remain 20 month only for that batch.So how we can track in Standard SAP.

Regards

Asif

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member221025
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Asif,

When you maintain Total shelf life in material master, system calculates new SLED after GR based on the manufacturing date you put in GR.

So you should update Batch master after GR as Anand has already suggested.

Amol.

anand_rao3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Logically if you are modifying total shelf life in material master before GR, then it should consider the same to calculate expiry date in run time! But I would suggest if shelf life period is varying batch to batch, better to update the expiry date in to batch master directly.

former_member216607
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Anand,

At present we follow the same what you suggest, But its not std way to do.i dont want to disturbed the material master.Is any other why to do so.

At present we update in MSC1N but late after GR is check the SLED date and update it again.So is other why that if i change in MSC!N, after GR also it remain the same.

anand_rao3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Asif, I also am of the opinion that master data should not be frequently changed. I haven't advised so!

What I have understood is, in your case expiry period changes batch to batch or per production run.

Under such dynamic circumstances shelf life period that you maintain in material master plays NO significance to determine the expiry date. It will every time calculate the expiry date as date of manufacturing+ period maintained in material master. i.e. 24 months from date of manufacturing.

It is however different issue that why it not behaving in this manner in your case - This is something that needs to be investigated

So really it (Total Shelf Life period) should be maintained in material master or not?

Anand

former_member216607
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Anand,

Is not that its change from Batch to batch.Will Explain with an example.

Suppose we have a Material ABC, having shelf life of 24 month(like 23 Month +) which we maintain in Material master.Now we have created 2 Batch let say P1, P2

P1 :- We maintain some date say Date of  Manf. 1/1/2013 in (MSC1N)and when we do GR it update the shelf life Exp from Material master i.e 1/1/2015. which is right.

But for P2 due to some issue we reduce the shelf life exp by 1 yrs.Say We maintain some date say Date of  Manf. 1/1/2013  & Shelf life Exp 1/1/2014,in (MSC1N) but after GR that  Shelf life Exp date change from 1/1/2014 to 1/1/2015 as per maintain in material master, which should not to be happen, it should remain 1/1/2014.

So how we can map this process?

anand_rao3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Asif, I got it now! I try to explain.

1. This is because expiration date check setting in SPRO. The path is as below
  2. SPRO > Logistic - General > Batch Management > Shelf Life Expiration Date (SLED) > Set Expiration Date Check
  3. When I refer to F1 help, I get below information

For a further goods receipt for a batch, the shelf life expiration date entered or determined with the movement is compared with the one from the batch master record. If the dates differ, a warning or error message is issued, depending on the system settings.

If the goods receipt is posted despite any warning, the old shelf life expiration date in the batch master record is overwritten by the new one

So, system is executing the check for calculating expiry date at the time of GR. You can do either of following in your case

• Change the expiry date in batch master after goods receipt

Or

• Modify the SPRO setting. You can explore the possibilities specified under above path

Or

• You can set up customer exit to calculate expiry date based upon your logic.

Anand

former_member221025
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Asif,

There are few exits you can explore, i just googled it and found below exits.

EXIT_SAPMM07M_003

EXIT_SAPLMHD1_001

EXIT_SAPLVBMD_001

but, there can be simple solution too if it fits your requirement.

Do not maintain Total Shelf life in Material master, Just maintain rem shelf life. Now whenever you will do GR, System will ask you to enter SLED, SLED entered here will be applicable for that particular batch. The only thing is user Doing GR must know the SLED.

Amol.