cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB/table/index reorg after archiving

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am starting this dicussion on  reorg as it relates to Archiving.

Post archiving , it is recommended to do a reorg.

Usuallly it is done at table or index level by the DBA's /Basis teams.

following are some points for discussion .

1. what are the tasks of archiving team in the reorg activity and how can they help the DBA , Basis team on the reorg?

2. are there any real time examples that some one can share on a reorg task. it could be ex: FI_DOCUMNT archiving followed by reorg of the tables related to this object.

3. it is recommended that if the tables are expected to grow again , then reorg is not necessary , is it true?

4. best practice documents on reorg , available on SAP Service market place or somone can share other documents?

5. time taken for reorg on large tables . ususally during  a maintenance window ,  (offline reorg).

any additional information that was missed above.

Please note this is not a list of questions, but a discussion to share work expriences around the reorg task.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Well, this actually is a list of questions, but, they can all be answered by looking at oss note 541538.

Best Regards,

Karin Tillotson

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Karin,

thanks for pointing to the note. I do know this note and many other notes as well which relate to DB reorg.

however our Database is DB2 DB2 v9.7 .

can someone share real time experiences on the DB reorg ?

ex: how much data was archived?  and is it ongoing archiving or one time archiving?

we have ongoing archiving and our basis / dba teams say that it is not necessary to do re org if archiving is running on daily basis , as the table space doesnt need to be reclaimed (because new data going into the tables will reclaim it anyway).  also another point they say is that generally a reorg on a large table ex: >300 GB takes avg 4 or 6 hours and hence it is not recommended (offline)

instead they say indexes are good candidates for reorg.

so basically points like these are what is being asked to share in this discussion.

share the actual work/effor that someone put into the DB reog activity and what benefits did a reorg give (perfromance improvement besides reducing the size of DB).

Infact the two main goals for an archiving project would be these two (reduce / prevent the db size from growing ) & also performance .

thanks,

Satya

thanks,

Satya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello again,

When I archive a significant amount of data (for example 1 year of SD billing documents), I then let the Basis team know which tables were the most impacted and then they rebuild the relevant indexes.  Table/tablespace reorgs are not as common and to my knowledge only done if you need to actually reduce the database size (as opposed to just freeing up space).

Are you familiar with the document "Performance Aspects of Data Archiving"?  This can be found out on the ILM Service Marketplace page under Data Archiving -> Media Library -> Literature & Brochures.  It contains a lot of good information on this topic.

Best Regards,

Karin Tillotson