Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mix of SAP Gateway and non SAP Gateway for Integration with SAP

john_pawski
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am looking for a document on where SAP NW Gateway fits in as part of an integration overall strategy.  So, for example, my understanding it is primarily for Mobile app integration.  I hear some customers talking about using Gateway for what we normally think of as EAI core integration.   So, it does not seem right to me in many typical SAP integration requirements would be handled via Gateway.  Other traditional SAP integrations via PI or another ESB leveraging enterprise services, SAP API like BAPIs and IDOCS would be more appropriate in many non-mobile type situations.

Does anyone have general guidance on the above integration advice, thx

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

ChandraMahajan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi John,

In addition you can refer this document

Regards,

Chandra

SandipAgarwalla
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A good discussion..If I can add few things

1) PI REST Adapter is planned, should be available sometime in near future..

I do not think every integration scenario should be handled in Gateway (rather oData style) just because it can or it might work thinking. Doing it odata style means you need to re-write all functionalities as Web Based Services (eSOA anyone??)

2) Gateway (oData Services) - should be used in User to System scenario ( mobile, browser light weight type) , where you would want to transfer minimal data to the user and back

3) PI - System to System as you mentioned. e.g. Master Data/Customer Synchronization between ecc & crm etc. Doing them in oData style seems like overkill to me when you can use the IDOCs/ALEs and you do not need the data to be transferred over HTTP.

Both Gateway and PI are targeted for different scenarios and have their own place, and as such the right product should be evaluated carefully for each scenario.

Just my two cents.

Sandip

kammaje_cis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

John,

This is an informative blog if you have not gone through.

Since PI does not have a REST adapter (I was told so), I have seen scenarios where Gateway was used for system to system communication/integration side by side with PI.

But I am not aware of any disadvantage of using Gateway for 'typical SAP Integration". Why do you feel so?

regards

Krishna