cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portal not writing to Default Trace

Former Member
0 Kudos

SCN,

After adding a comment to an active default trace file, Portal stopped writing to it (added the comment to identify when a testing window began).

This system has one java AS with a single active node.  The trace files were configured to only log errors, but was increased to log level debug after realizing the traces weren't growing (ie no new entries despite executing tasks I know throw errors to the trace).  Still nothing...  Lastly, viewing the trace is consistent with entries in the NWA log viewer, so it's doubtful that the errors are being written elsewhere.

Any ideas?  I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Sawyer

PS: Portal NW7.3ehp1 with SP12

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jun, Not sure if I provided too much troubleshooting detail... Anyway, I added a comment to the active default trace file on the Portal AS (RHEL, NW 731).  After which, the default trace was not updated despite me knowingly generating errors.

Ultimately, a system bounce resolved the issue...and after reproducing the error, it was written to the default trace.

former_member193577
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sawyer,

Just FYI, for activate log traces for specific session, you can also use the LogWatch.

Closing logwatch will also revert to original trace level configured.

see here for details:

http://scn.sap.com/people/edison.buttenbender/blog/2011/06/03/logwatch-tool-for-collecting-portal-tr...

Best regards,

Tal

dror_last
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sawyer,

In 7.31 it is mor recommended to use tshw for collecting traces as it will collect the traces from all different server nodes in your cluster.

see Collecting Traces for Troubleshooting Security Problems - System Security - SAP Library

Best Regards,

Dror.

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

not able to follow u.....