cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot get PB12.5 to work on Windows 7

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Folks:

We are trying to migrate a 12.5 PB app from Win XP to Win 7. So far without success.

The app resides on a UNIX server.

The app works fine with XP and will work on Win7 if the user is an adminstrator.

Setting up user machines with admin rights is unacceptable.

We have tried to compile with "Embedded Manifest" As Invoker -- Without Success.

We have looked for any places that wrote to the registry -- It only writes to CURRENT_USER which we believe should be OK wiith Win7

The app does not appear to write to the "Program Files" directory.

We changed the Win 7 machine to allow "Create Global Objects" which works but so far is not something that management here wants to do -- either by individual machine or identifying a group.

The app runs against an Oracle 11g database and it stops when it tries to validate a user id because it appears that the transaction object(SQLCA) is not there.

Thanks for your help

Tom    

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tom,

I'm guessing you looked at the following with regards to allowing "Create Global Objects" which works for you.

http://daverobertson63.wordpress.com/2007/10/18/sqlplus-windows-administator-only/

That may be your only way around this since the above posting mentions it's a windows security issue.

Ted Zimmerman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ted:

If my frail memory serves, I just realized that it was you that found that link for me  - Thanks

The powers that be around here have put this into the "Last Resort" category.  Admin rights being completely out of the question.
Thanks

Tom

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do you have some code in your app that tries to automatically register an ocx or something like that?

That has tripped me up in one of my applications?

Are you using UAC?  If yes, try turning it off.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Terry:

No ocx.

Turning off UAC does not change the result.

Thanks

Tom

Former Member
0 Kudos

You have the 32-bit version of the Oracle client installed? 

Former Member
0 Kudos

H Terry:

The 32bit client is installed.

Thanks

Tom

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tom,

Rather then making the user an administrator have you tried running the application as administrator.  Either right click on the application's exe and selecting run as administror or right click on the exe and selecting properties.  Then check the Run as administrator checkbox on the Compatibility tab.

Ted Zimmerman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ted.

Im sorry, I forgot to add that we had tried the compatability mode and running the app as admin.

Running in compatability mode was unsuccessful and management does not want the user to have to deal with a secondary login.

Thanks

Tom

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tom;

Did you compile your PB application with PB Classic or PB.Net?

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris:

PB Classic  - The app was originally done under PB5 in the late 90's and migrated up through 12.5

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks .. did you apply either the 12.5.1 or 12.5.2 maintenance release?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris:

We are 12.5.2 build 5006 - If there are maintainance releases, I am unaware of them.

Thanks