cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor performance in SAP DS 4.2 Designer

Former Member
0 Kudos

We experience poor performance in the Designer every time we do functions which involves Repositories. Especially against the central repository (CR).

Startup of the Designer takes about 20 secs when not connecting to CR. When also connecting to CR, 60-90 secs. Other tasks like "get latest" are also very slow. Get latest on the biggest jobs takes about half an hour. Even a check out of a small table takes more than a minute. When running from home office over VPN, the responetimes multiply by 5 (25Mb fiber connection).

We have noticed that the responsetimes have increased considerably over time, as the number of objects grows. We have now 530 dataflows (3640 rows in AL_LANG for theese, incl historical versions). The number of tables in AL_SCHEMA is 780, 4809 rows incl history. We do observe in Wireshark that thousands of SQL calls are issued when launching the server.

We are running repositories on SAP Sybase ASE 15.5, on Linux (Red Hat). Designer run on Windows 7. All DS servers also run on Linux.

We have tried some measures, like monitoring the sybase server, not finding anything except good health.

Also have connected the pc on as directly to the database server as possible, with no measurable effect. This to check wheather a closer position in the network would solve the problem.

Can anyone help us?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member202087
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Not sure I can help but we are having similar performance issues with our 4.2 upgrade.  Our Repositories are SQL Server DBs and the designer also runs on Windows 7.  I have an incident open with SAP on this but so far their only thought is network latency.  Our 4.0 environment was set up the same way and the performance was much better so I am thinking network latency is not the issue.

I will keep you posted on what I find.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the update Ken. I will keep you posted if i get some news.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

We actually got news that there is an issue with DS4,1 SP1 Designer.

This issue has been addressed in  Data Services 4.2 Support Pack 2 Patch 3 (ADAPT01734241, note 2085464)

Regards,

Guido

former_member202087
Active Participant
0 Kudos

That is what I was told as well but looking at the release notes (KBA 2090218) for the patch release I am not seeing a reference to ADAPT01734241.  I am looking through all the other release notes since then as well and have not yet found it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ken,

I coudn't find the ADAPT either in any of the release notes.

I just found two references:

- note 2085464

- SCN: http://scn.sap.com/thread/3639682 (this is not official. Someone states that theit problems have been sold in SP4)

Regards,

Guido

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, I am still waiting for response. Did you guys get any results?

former_member202087
Active Participant
0 Kudos

We ran a SQL trace as you had done and found the same things.  Many more SQL calls with 4.2 than 4.0.  Updated our message and the last response was...

"After conferring with a senior engineer we're going to hand over the investigation to our development team.   Hopefully they can tell us what necessitates so much extra SQL activity and  if there's hope of
paring it down in a future release.".

That was a week ago and I have not heard more since.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is very good news. I should think their development team is the only ones who can really do something about this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

As an additional test i have installed a MySQL database on our BODS server and created a repository on that same server. In that case performance was good, because there is no network involved. But i cannot let 15 developpers access our server.

I wonder if someone has experience with a Citrix server. I am thinking of putting designer and the repository database on one server and have the developpers access that Server.

former_member211387
Contributor
0 Kudos

There are two aspect to making improvement.

First is to check on the network.

Second is the resources allocated to the database server hosting the repository databases. You may want to check this as it usually becomes a bottleneck in multi-user environment.

Raghu

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is actually the 2 aspects I already have checked.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have filed for a Citrix server at our operations dep, but this might take some time. I do not expect much improvement at the office, due to the tests we have already done. However, the potential for the home office is great.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

We are migrating from DS 4.1 SP2 to 4.2 SP1. In our case we are using an Oracle 11.2 central repository that is located somewhere in the network.

We are having the same problem. Check in/Check out/Get latest takes at least 4 to 5 times longer then before. We also noticed that Designer takes up to 20% more memory. Since we still have a 32bit OS on our workstations we regularly run out of memory.

I have opened a message with SAP, but i am still trying to convince them that there is a problem.

A collegae of mine performed an sql trace on Designer. It looks like designer 4.1 SP3 needed 64 sql statements to perform a check out. Designer 4.2 SP1 needs 3000+ SQL statements for that same action. This is why network latency is becoming  a problem. I will keep you posted if i find something.

Up until now we are quite unhappy with DS4.2.

Regards,

Guido

former_member202087
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Can you share the message number you created for SAP?  Ours was 843502.  Maybe your guy could talk to my guy (or vice-versa) since there are multiple systems with similar issues regardless of operating system.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ken,

My message number is 842692.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not quite sure what message number you mean. I use
15371061 to go into this case, but that you probably already know?

former_member202087
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I was looking for the incident number if you had created one like Guido and I had (i.e. 843502, 842692).  I figured if we updated our incidents with these then the various SAP processors could coordinate.

I am also planning to run a SQl trace today as Guido had done to see what type of results we get.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have not posted an incident, since my user did not have this privilege.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are quite happy with 4.2, since we upgraded from 3.2, which had many more problems, that now seem solved. However, the very slow functions on repository spoils much of the fun working with this product. SAP has to do something about this.