cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTML Preview - Error message - Improper Config?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm using SAP CR 2013 in standalone mode, on a Windows 7 PC.

I have an SQL Server DB on this local machine, and can design and print reports as expected.

HTML Preview yields an error, inviting configuration of File\Options\Smart Tag and HTML Preview.

Of note, I did not have IIS installed at the time I installed CR2013.

I installed it now, and ran an update on CR2013 (Add/Romove Program - Modify).

The error persists.

The option is checked to "Enable HTML Preview when no logged on..."

Looks like I need to point to an ASPX application and have a virtual directory on my IIS.

Could someone help me get started?

Dave

Message was edited by: Ludek Uher Phone number removed (SCN Rules of Engagement and all that...)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Deve

Try this

Thanks,

DJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

I did see that post, and I think what I need is a RAS as in:

"This needs to be configured for the HTML Preview because Crystal Reports will need to connect to your BOE server,  pass the request to one of the backend components (RAS) to generate the page then stream it back down to Crystal Reports."

from that post.

I'm hoping there's an RAS server that I can use in the cloud, or install on my local machine.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi David

There is no RAS server to use in the cloud or install without actually buying it. If you are interested in CR Server, see:

Business Intelligence | Small Business | Crystal Solutions | SAP

Perhaps a worthwhile question; why are you wanting to see the report in an HTML preview? (Sounds like a silly question, but it really is not...)

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Ludek.

We're developing the reports using Windows-based Crystal Reports, then deplying on a web server, built using the ASP.NET objects inside MS Visual Studio.  We want to preview what they will look like when finally deployed.

We license Crystal Reports for each site, but the end users will see the reports through our Web App.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok, that sounds good. Now, in order for you to be able to see the reports in a web app, you will have to download SAP Crystal Reports, Developer Version for Visual Studio .NET (2010 / 2012 / 2013).

You will then have to add a bit of code to view the reports. The simplest code would be:

CrystalReportViewer1.ReportSource = <path to the report>

Now the above is pretty trivial, but lacks any power. E.g.; the report engine will prompt for DB logon and any parameters, which you may not want. Also, you will not be able to change the database logon (server, DB, table, etc.). For that you will have to expand the code. Once you have a working app, you will need to deploy the CR runtime to the server.

Perhaps the best place to start with all of this is here:

Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 Walkthroughs

(Don't let the title throw you - the doc applies to all versions of CR and .NET)

There are a number of samples here:

Crystal Reports for .NET SDK Samples - Business Intelligence (BusinessObjects) - SCN Wiki

And of course the Developer Help files:

SAP Crystal Reports .NET SDK Developer Guide

SAP Crystal Reports .NET API Guide

One last thing. There really are two SDKs - Crystal Reports and InProcRAS. Both come with SAP Crystal Reports, Developer Version for Visual Studio .NET, however RAS is much more powerful in that it allows report creation APIs, may be a bit more stable (according to some people), provides finer control over tasks such as printing and so on. The Developer Help files for EAS are here:

Report Application Server .NET SDK Developer Guide

Report Application Server .NET API Guide

Samples are here:

NET RAS SDK Samples - Business Intelligence (BusinessObjects) - SCN Wiki

And a pretty good doc:

How to Use The RAS SDK .NET With In-Process RAS Server

Last, last thing ; SDK questions should go here:

http://scn.sap.com/community/crystal-reports-for-visual-studio

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is great stuff, Ludek!

Thanks.  I see now that we should expose an entry point into our web app for calling from Crystal Reports for Windows.  I look forward to digesting this.

Answers (0)