cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Longer execution of BPC10 on SAP HANA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All - I have an issue I thought some one might be able to shed light and share his experience:

Its been a year we have migrated from BPC 7.5 to BPC 10 SP 12. Our Database is DB2 10.1 (750GB), BW 730, SP12.

issue is the run time of our consolidation where it runs around 77 minutes. The run time is not acceptable for business.

Migration of the BPC 7.5 to 10 has been done by this consulting company. They have spent over a year trying  to help us reduce the run time of the consolidation and they have not been able to help.

They offered to install our BPC environment in their SAP BW/HANA environment to see if running the consolidation on HANA will improve the run time:

I created a backup of our environment shell and they restored it on their SAP HANA cloud environment. To our surprise run time has increased by 20 minutes. My questions are as follow:

1- Is it that easy to export and import an BPC environment to an SAP HANA environment? is it similar to migration from 7.5 to 10?

2- Is this test valid? What happens to the backbend BW system? is it possible to migrate just the BPC module without the back-end BW system to another BW system?

3- Why would we see increase in execution time? What are the factors that can cause increase of run time in HANA environment?

Please any advise would be much appreciated.

Regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member200327
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Did consolidation run faster than 77 min on 7.5?

Did you or that consulting company do any analysis what part of consolidation takes most of the time?

Do you use BADIs in your system? Those would have to be moved separately as well as any other ABAP/DDIC development.

Now to answer your questions.

1. Yes, it is simple. You just have to run additional program to move cubes to HANA optimized.

2. Yes, test is valid. Back end is regenerated in new BW system.

3. When we did similar thing 2 years back we saw increase in performance up to 10 times. Maybe some HANA related parameters are not set or set incorrectly?

Regards,

Gersh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gersh - Thank you for the quick response.

-They have moved all the BADI.

I have couple more question, How is BW database size relevant with BPC environment size? Dose the size of BW database has any impact on BPC performance?

Would it be possibile to install an BPC instance on a standalone server not on top of BW server?

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kourosh,

BPC have to be installed on the BW server, standalone in term of BPC would be one BW server only for BPC use, BW will not be used for any other functions.

The increase performance is due to the speed of HANA, faster read and write, If optimise properly you should get even better performance with HANA.

Andy

former_member200327
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm not sure I understood your question "How is BW database size relevant with BPC environment size?"

Obviously BPC DB is part of BW DB, so having BPC increases BW DB size, but I doubt you were asking that.

I'd assume you asked if size of BW can affect BPC performance. If you asked that then yes,

size of BW can affect performance of BPC, but not significantly. For example, if with empty BW you need just 1 Node of HANA but with populated BW you need 2 HANA Nodes, then it can have some effect on performance. But I doubt that effect can be really measured.

BW is prerequisite for BPC NW, so you can install empty BW system, but it should be there.

Regards.

Answers (0)