cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NW 7.31 Java installation on mssql

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am planning to install NW 7.3 EHP1 on MSSQL 2012 and MS Windows 2012 R2.

1.scs and PAS in separate host A

2.db on separate host B

DB s/w is installed on DB host.

Query

1.Do we go for standard or distributed installation.

2.If distributed,For DB installation do we need to log in to DB server and run the installer or can we run the installer from APP server and give DB server details remotely?

because we have restriction in getting DB server access.Only we have DB instance name with user name and password.

In installation guide it says log in to DB server and run installer to install DB.Can you let me know will installing DB from app server with out logging to DB server will work?

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanks for the quick replies.

Restrictions I mean DB is maintained by separate team so I will not have DB server access.Only DB instance host name with user name and password has been provided to me.

So it is possible or not possible to install DB instance( I mean DB data files and log files) from app server by any remote method etc..

If possible,then options please.

Thanks again all.

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

1st install the DB on that host and complete your installation.

Once all done, handover the host to DB team.

Regards

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Restrictions I mean DB is maintained by separate team so I will not have DB server access.Only DB instance host name with user name and password has been provided to me.

What else do you need to access a server ?

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reagan Benjamin,

I have DB instance name with user name and password not the DB server host name.

For eg.

DB server host name - Test

Under test named SQL instance has been created with name "namedinstance"

So now I can log on to only SQL instance as below

Test\namedinstance with user name and password.

Hope my explanation is clear.

Now please let me know if it is possible to install DB instance remotely from app server with the above details.

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

The SAP installer (sapinst) does not care about any DB username and password. The installer check whether the MSSQL is installed on the machine or not. So is the MSSQL database software installed on the server where DB is supposed to run ? If not you need to install it on the machine and this is remotely not possible (as far as I know). As this is a distributed setup the installer will mostly prompt for the username and password to access the DB node, because the sapinst will create the DB.

Regards

RB

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

1.Do we go for standard or distributed installation.

YEs. Go with distributed installation

If distributed,For DB installation do we need to log in to DB server and run the installer or can we run the installer from APP server and give DB server details remotely?

because we have restriction in getting DB server access.Only we have DB instance name with user name and password.

You need to login to DB server and perform the installation.  Restrictions on DB server can be implemented once the installation is completed. There is no point in having restriction before installation as there is nothing on the server on which restrictions can be imposed.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

You will need to select the option "Distributed Installation"

You will install the MSSQL software on the node where DB is planned to be installed using SQL4SAP.vbs

Regards

RB

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

.Do we go for standard or distributed installation.

Distributed.

If distributed,For DB installation do we need to log in to DB server and run the installer or can we run the installer from APP server and give DB server details remotely?

Log on to server and install DB 1st.

Regards