cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iq messagelog information in linux system messages file

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

I have a strange problem which started this weekend. One production query node is suddenly duplicating all information in the /var/log/messages file on REL Linux. This is IQ 15.4 . Does not happen on any other node.

I have switched off query plan but there is still a lot of information being duplicated.

The SysAdmins are on my back due to the space usage of this file

Tia

Johan Bornman

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

saroj_bagai
Contributor
0 Kudos

You will need to start IQ server with -s none switch  for stop logging messages in the OS logs

Former Member
0 Kudos

The iqmessagelog feed just suddenly stopped again. I suspect it was a disconneced tail -f of the messagelog that caused this problem

saroj_bagai
Contributor
0 Kudos

No, control-c for tail -f .iqmsg will n't make server stop writing to the  .iqmsg. Is it possible some one try to move it to different directory or  /dev/null or file system was full

You will need to restat IQ server to restart logging in the .iqmsg

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Saroj. The server was writing to the messagelog al the time and the systemlog.

So Than make me believe it was a tail of the messagelog causing this

regards

Johan Bornman

saroj_bagai
Contributor
0 Kudos

if that's the case, then I will like to test it. Can you please send me exact version

select @@version

start_iq -v2

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Saroj

It is iq 15.4 GA on REL

regards

Johan Bornman

saroj_bagai
Contributor
0 Kudos

Please confirm is it .srvlog or .iqmsg

Former Member
0 Kudos

It was the messagelog , hence the original question

regards

Johan Bornman

saroj_bagai
Contributor
0 Kudos

OK Johan, I tested  your scenario,  tail -f  messaagelog  and issue control-c and check again after 10 min, messages are still being logged

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Saroj ,

I am not sure that you are replicating the original problem.

The server wrote to the iqmessage log all the time. In addition it was writing to the Linux system log.

Do you mean that a tail -f will output to the linux system log if you do a control c?

regards

Johan

saroj_bagai
Contributor
0 Kudos

As I mentioned earlier as well,  you can stop writing message to OS log /var/adm/messages by starting IQ server with -s none.

I try to replicate control-c issue, where issuing control-c to tail -f  messagelog , makes IQ server stop logging messages to the  messagelog.  In my test, it still keep on logging messages to the messagelog.

Thanks