Old Details

Kernel Version - 620

Kernel Patch - 1773

Oracle - 9.2.0.2

New Details

Kernel Version - 640

Kernel Patch - 155

Oracle - 9.2.0.8

Can Anybody Explain Me What is the advantage of this upgrade and why we are doing this in regular way, because i am having objective knowledge but i want to know this thing in subjective knowledge

I hope that in this forum i am going to get my answer

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shishir,

Since you upgrade from kernel 620 to kernel 640, please check note #521230 before doing this, since, depending on your platform, your new kernel will no longer be linked to the Oracle 8 client.

Many people are not aware of the fact that they actually have the combination kernel 620/Oracle 8 client/Oracle 9 database in their system. In case your old kernel was linked to Oracle 8 and you do not have the Oracle 9 client installed, the SAP workprocesses will most likely not be able to connect to the DB after the kernel upgrade.

Best Regards,

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Most of your questions are answered in SAP Note # 556994. Please check.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can also say the same as Andreas about the Oracle upgrade.

9.2.0.8 is the latest patch set release for 9i and oracle will only create new patches for this patch set level.

If you are in a lower level and you get an unknow error you will be asked to upgrade to the latest patch set as the bug fix will be created for this.

andreas_herzog
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

the <b>most obvious reason: kernel 620 is no longer supported</b> by sap...only 640 (and of course 700) is so, when yoou're having troubles and sap advises you to upgarde the kernel (which thy always do if you're not using the most current one), you'd have to do it anyway...

kernel upgrades will fix problems at the basis of the sap system - the executables, like disp+work, tp, r3trans and so on...these executables will be develeoped and improved regarding stability and functionality...so, it's always good advice to keep them current

GreetZ, AH

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Andreas

Many Thanks For Your Prompt Reply

I agree with you but i want my answer is more depth

there are two files we are downloading from service.sap.com

- SAPEXE.SAR: all database independent executables and libraries

- SAPEXEDB.SAR: database specific executables

after uncar those files we replace the new files with old files that is Run Folder

Can You Explain The role of those files which we are replacing

Many Thanks In Advance, waiting for your prompt reply

Shishir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shishir,

Can u pls let me know the procedure of Kernel Upgradation in detail, if possible with screenshots.

Thanks in Advacne, waiting for your prompt reply

Sree.

andreas_herzog
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

the role? this is quiet too much to explain

(nearly) all files of the run directory (= kernel) will be replaced...sapexedb consists of database related files, such as dbslibora (database library) or the br-tools (brarchive, brrestore etc.)...to get all information in depth, have a lookup at sapnet alias NOTES..maybe you'll find more

<u>most important ones are:</u>

disp+work -> dispatcher/work process

tp -> transport & puts (used for transports of all kinds...sap upgrade as well)

r3trans -> is needed to make several checks (such as r3trans -d) and will be used for transporting

saposcol -> sap operating system collector (will collect os data...have a look at ST06)

brtools -> used for oracle db administration

dpmon -> dispatcher monitor on os level

sapseculib -> sap crypto library

sapcar -> sap's archiving tool

saprouter -> implements an application layer gateway (a tine firewall)

r3ldctl -> R3 Load Control (used for system copies)

r3szchk -> R3 size checker (used to calculate target database size)

r3load -> used to import/export data

GreetZ, AH

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sridhar,

Refer to SAP Note # 664679 for detailed process of applying a kernel patch.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sairam

Thanks for ur reply. I was on my job trails on sap basis. How can i login into service market place without having oss id. Can u pls guide me an alternative to get the details or else if u have procedure can u pls mail me to sreebasis@yahoo.com

andreas_herzog
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

^^ there is <b>absolutely NO WAY to login into sapnet without having the appropriate credentials</b>...so, get your id and you're free to participate...otherwise you'll have to stay here

GreetZ, AH

Former Member