Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get licence for openUI5

surendra_pamidi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I want to know how to get licence for openUI5 and..

For what purposes we can use that and for what we can't.

Please give the details if you know..

Thanks,

Surendra.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

jmoors
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

OpenUI5 is open source (Apache License 2.0), so not sure what you mean by needing a license?

https://openui5.hana.ondemand.com/#LICENSE.txt

Regards,

Jason

surendra_pamidi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your quick response. I want to know whether we have to apply for Apache licence even though it is free to use in commercial website building.

Thanks,

Surendra.

jmoors
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No, you don't need to apply for anything. The following link explains in plain English the scope of the Apache license. Hope it helps.

https://tldrlegal.com/license/apache-license-2.0-(apache-2.0)

Regards,

Jason

surendra_pamidi
Contributor
0 Kudos

If I build an application with openUI5, what is the total procedure to make the app under Apache license.

If you explain total procedure that would be more helpful..

jmoors
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It's a fairly open license. If you distribute the OpenUI5 source code with your app, you just need to ensure all the orignal copyrights, licenses and Notice file are included.

Other than that you pretty much have the freedom to do what you want.

Many thanks,

Jason

Former Member
0 Kudos

Perhaps if you read the licence yourself, it would be clear what you need to do? If you are planning on building a commercial application you should certainly do that for any third party software you make use of.

posted a helpful link just above...

Steve.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Surendra,

Since openUI5 is under Apache , you can use it for personal or commercial purposes, but you cannot use it to create your own (for example, use it's libraries and create your own framework) and "sell" it. If you intend to do that kind of development then you have to release it as open source again for free of cost. That is the limitation.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Abhishek,

is this true? As far as I understand the Apache 2.0 license, you can even use softare created under it in your own software which you sell. You do not have to provide the sourcecode of your software, but you have to make sure, that the content of the Apache license is shipped with your software.

Best regards

MiKa

AndreasKunz
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Abishek,

I'm not a lawyer and this is no official statement (only my personal impression), but I'm pretty sure you can create and sell your own framework. I know this restriction from other JS frameworks that are only free when you don't create your own framework with it, but OpenUI5 does not have any specific rule in this direction. And Apache does not force you to Open-Source your own code. That rather sounds like the GPL license.

And in general (you can take that as official): you do not need to involve SAP (or Apache) to use OpenUI5. But you have to follow the license rules of the Apache 2.0 License (they should be explained elsewhere, links are quoted above).

Regards

Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

OpenUI5, as the name implies, is open. Get it from here - OpenUI5 - under Apache licence. No cost. Use it for whatever you want. SAP not required

Steve.