Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Freeing up Disk space

Hi all,

I have just done an offline table reorg for all tablespaces using brtools and oracle 10g, with the intention of dropping some datafiles and allocating them elsewhere.

But even though I now have 90G free I am unable to remove any datafiles.

How do I remove these datafiles or resize them properly?  I've read countless postings but none of them result in the space saving I can see in dbacockpit.

Thanks

Craig

Tags:
Former Member replied

Hi,

I'm sorry to bring the bad news, but there is no other way (or I will be very happy to be proved wrong) to recover that space.

Oracle does know it has free space, it will use that free space by further object growth.

Resume:

• You cannot drop a datafile unless it is empty (Dropping Datafiles) and (here It seems I was mistaken, thanks) it cannot be the first or only datafile.

• You cannot "empty" a datafile (at least easily as it would involve to export the objects that have a part on that datafile, drop those objects, drop the datafile and import them again)
  • You can resize a datafile as mentioned but only if there is no object on the space to be freed (Managing Datafiles and Tempfiles)

For that reason I said that the best would have planned it previously

1 View this answer in context

Helpful Answer

by
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question