cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphical Filter in Calculation View?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a Calculation View like

and Flag=1 in Projection_1 and Flag=2 in Projection_2 (both introduced in the Projection as a Calculated Column).

What I now want to add is some filter for result, e.g. Flag=1 .But somehow I don't find a mean to create a filter. On the Aggregation Level there is no item:

nor in the Union. Since I have seen screenshot with applying Filter-Expression on the Aggregation Level, I wonder how this is done. I'm using SPS08 - perhaps this was possible in prior versions, and now not?

NOTE: I'm not looking for the SQL-script, I'm curious how this could be done on the graphical level. With the search here I wasn't neither successful.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

You can only apply filters on projections:

For calculated dimensions on the projection you can use the "filter expressions" dialog directly like this:

Cheers,

Fernando

Former Member
0 Kudos

On the projection nodes this was never the problem. My question was about if the filtering is possible on the aggregation level? On the Union level not. And on the Aggregation level it seems that this could be done only, if the Aggregation Node is not the last before the Semantics. (That's what I figured out up till now, although I have no clue, why on the last this isn't possible.)

Noteworthy is additional that on the Aggregation Node I cannot access to the same Filter Dialog as you have shown. If I double click on the Aggregation Node on the Filters everything therein is read-only cannot be changed. Only in the Apply Filter-Dialog.

Any ideas, why there are these two limitations? (Tested with SP08.)

0 Kudos

Well as far as I can remember, it has always worked like this.

To be honest i never questioned why i cant filter on an aggregation node, my mindset is always to filter on the initial projection for performance reasons...

Maybe someone from SAP can give us a detailed answer.

Cheers,

Fernando

Former Member
0 Kudos

Uhu, interesting. If you say, you filter on the initial projection due to performance reasons, I wonder what other possibilities are there for filtering?  And are they less performant?

former_member182114
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Roland / Fernando,

One thing about last node is that it's a representation of output, it's node a real aggregation or a real projection but a representation similar to make easy to manipulate/rename before went out on semantic. Is also the only one that you can switch between projection / aggregation.

This last one wasn't here since SP3 or SP4 if I remind well...

About the beauty visualization of filtering against the box to direct edit expression is the same since ever. Initially you can do it beaty but if you want one time to edit without the wizard Studio alert you that after you confirm the only way to maintain is manually through expression.

Of course, if you start directly on expression you will not see the option to filtering with wizard.

Regards, Fernando Da Rós

former_member182114
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Roland,

About the where you put the filters, Fernando have the correct mind set to filter as earlier as possible, because as a rule of tumb you are reducing the size of datasets which is less memory and less CPU to carry on payload.

* One observation is that HANA does a good work to take a filter on upper nodes to lower nodes but this will not happens always... depends on your model.

Regards, Fernando Da Rós

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Fernando,

out of curiosity: is there a way to check on which level the filter was applied? I mean its sounds logical to apply the filter on the lowest level possible. But can I see it where the filter is applied? Resp. how?

thx

roland

0 Kudos

Great info, thanks. I did not know this.

former_member182114
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Roland,

Not only the filters but everything that happens on execution, like what kind of columns was really acessed, each sources and the path of the information from source to output, but this we are getting side tracked here, Use PlanViz:

Regards, Fernando Da Rós