Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data migration

former_member1296478
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear All,

How to use rfc in data migration as mm point of views.

fetch 4 tables extract those data and will do some change then upload in sap please advice me ,

as a mm consultant what information i need to give abaper for RFC.

Thanks

shiv

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

How could you be able to decide that you use RFC if you do not even know what info you have to give to an ABAPer in this case?

former_member1296478
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I will give table and field name to the abaper .

Thanks

Shiv

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is for people who believe the electric power comes out of the plug.

Do you intent to do do hard table updates? Usually data is created through defined interfaces, e.g. BAPI, Transaction call, batch input, IDoc etc.

Of course it is possible to use a RFC call to fetch data as basis for such scenarios, but it is the target scenario that defines which fields are needed and knowledge on the source system to know from which table they can be pulled.

And still you need a mapping between old and new.

You can answer such question in general pretty easy yourself.

Logon to a SAP test system and the source SAP system, and create a new record in the target system based on the info found in the source system.

You use  Excel and note down each field that you used and how you translated the source field value to the target field value.

You also need to mention if this mapping is relevant for all records or dependent on other fields.

This mapping is actually a time consuming activity which requires resources who know the source system quite well as well as resources with a vast understanding of the target system and how it is designed and used for many years.

There can be quite huge differences how SAP processes are defined, and such processes can create many headaches in migrations, no matter what the technical approach finally is.

You might find situation with n:1 relations as well as 1:n relations.

But all this is not RFC specific. RFC is the ABAPers choice to pull the source data.