Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TM 9.0: How do you Simulate a FU?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can anyone please help me on the below query. it would be so helpful

How to simulate a freight unit in sap tm. currently we r using version 9.0

Ex: if the customer is currently creating 3 Freight orders and its cost is 100 per transport

it costs him Rs.300.

instead we tel him to make it 2 FO and show him the cost is just 250.

how to simulate this cost?

can anyone please help.

Message was edited by: Michael Appleby

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

cam_patters
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Ramya,

I am not familiar with "Simulating Freight Units"  Are you referring to "transportation proposals" where you can simulate the different options, based on your transportation network?

With respect to creating 1 FOR @ $100 dollars, so 3 FORs are generated for each of the 3 FUs.

To allow for "consolidation" you must have vehicle resources that would allow for the consolidation of the 3 FUs to generate 2 FORs.  In this, case, I would want to know what your FUBR is and what are the capacities of your vehicle resources.  All of this would be considered during Trans. Proposal as well as actual optimization (manual and/or automatic).  Additionally, your transportation network should allow for these FUs to be consolidated.

In this case, are we still dealing with 3 FUs?  We have the ability to do FU splits and merges.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Cam,

Thanks for the reply.

With splilt and merge yes v can edit the FU's. but my concern is abt simulating the freight order and cost. please find an example below. cost of shipment for a day.

3FU’s – 1 FO ( Rs.5 cost, 1 resource )

3FU’s – 1 FO ( Rs.4 cost, 1 resource )

4FU’s – 1 FO ( Rs.6 cost, 1 resource )

Total shipment cost for the day is 15Rs. So here we create 3FO’s.

If we have created 2FO’s with  2 resources by clubbing  what will be the Cost? How to find this cost and how to simulate this.

tarunkumar
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ramya,

If you are interested in actual cost of your FOs then in TM it's not possible to simulate the cost before FOs are created, you can only do a charge calculation after creating FOs. Charge calculation will show you the actual cost you have to pay your carrier for the execution of FOs.

If you are talking about optimization and planning FUs to get the right number of FOs, system is capable to do this using optimizer planning (cost here will be just to give brain to optimizer but not to make a payment to your carrier).

From your scenario it's not very clear if the costs 5, 4, 6 in your example is coming because of logistical data from FU or it is because of the utilization of your vehicle resource or from number of stops or from some other variations. There are other n number of possibilities to have as a source of cost.

In TM it's possible to configure your planning profiles in a way where it can optimize and gives you the number of FO required 2 or 3 in your scenario. But, there is no UI which gives you an option to simulate this planning cost and show you a comparison of cost for 2 FO v/s 3 FO.

Once it creates FO based upon best possible optimization you can check the details in 'Explanation tool' why it created 2 FO and not 3 FOs. It gives you an option to accept or reject the system proposal.

If customer wants such a UI (having WHAT-IF simulation feature) then you have to build it using the base functionalities of TM.

Thanks & Regards,

Tarun Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Tarun for the neat explaination.

In the example i have given above the cost is based on the utilization of  vehicle resource.

if this is the case what needs to be done.

Please advise.

Thanks and Regards,

Ramya B M

tarunkumar
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ramya,

If you have configured your vehicle utilization cost in your planning profile, then TM gives you a standard screen to see this simulation for FUs.

You can go to forwarding order stages and ask system to generate transport proposal ("Define Route" button), here system shows you multiple proposals (if you have configured your network in that fashion). You can check the cost against each simulation and also have an option to accept or reject the proposals.

In this case you don't need to develop any thing, it is all standard in TM.

Thanks & Regards,

Tarun Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

can anyone plz help me on the above query. its pretty urgent.

Thanks in advance