Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consuming HANA views using ABAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We have ABAP reports in ECC which is taking very long time to process it. So we decided to push down the complex logic to HANA where ever it is taking long time to fetch data.

We have standalone HANA System. So can we use HANA as secondary database??? If yes, how can i consume HANA views in ABAP reports??

Can some one guide me.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Krishna.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sundaresan_k
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear Krishna,

You need to access the native HANA artefacts (like HANA information views) from your ABAP system using native SQL and ADBC in case HANA is not the primary DB.

Did you already check if there is any scope for optimization by improving your Open SQL calls in ABAP layer?

There are several improved code inspector checks(checks accessible from transactions SCI and ATC) that could offer hints on potential optimizations in the ABAP level using Open SQL.

Please refer to note 1912445.

Best regards

Sundar

8 REPLIES 8

sreehari_vpillai
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Krishna,

All your data is available in yur primary database. If you are pushing down the complex logic to HANA database, you must provision the data into your secondary database first .

Sree

0 Kudos

Hi Sreehari,

Yes, we have replicated the required tables into HANA.

Now can i process complex logic here in HANA and pass the result set back to ABAP to process further logic??

Krishna

sundaresan_k
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear Krishna,

You need to access the native HANA artefacts (like HANA information views) from your ABAP system using native SQL and ADBC in case HANA is not the primary DB.

Did you already check if there is any scope for optimization by improving your Open SQL calls in ABAP layer?

There are several improved code inspector checks(checks accessible from transactions SCI and ATC) that could offer hints on potential optimizations in the ABAP level using Open SQL.

Please refer to note 1912445.

Best regards

Sundar

0 Kudos

Hi Sundar,

Thanks a lot for your valuable inputs.

- If i want to pass values to the views can we use HANA input parameters in this case as a PLACE HOLDER       in Native SQL??? else do i need to create a procedure for it???

Basically ABAP team is optimized the code but still we are hitting with performance. So we want to utilize existing HANA databse as secondary db to push down the complex logic to HANA.

Best Regards,

Krishna

0 Kudos

Dear Krishna,

Yes. You can pass input parameters  using place holders.

Best regards

Sundar

0 Kudos

Hi Sundar,

Thank you.

Can you please provide some link where i can see how to consume HANA views into ABAP.

Best Regards,

Krishna.

0 Kudos

Dear Krishna,

Please refer to the blog by Shahid Mohammed Syed .

Task T4 and T5 in the blog explains consuming HANA native views using Native SQL and ADBC.

Thanks

Sundar

0 Kudos

Hi Sundar,

Thanks a lot for your time and support.

Krishna