cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to read Master Data

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are facing an issue while doing to Save data. We are suspecting that the source could be Master Data mechanism on Fly we have implemented .

For ex , User can create a new Entity in Portal and this triggers Import Master data from Flat File which creates ID and HIR and loads to BPC. This processes Hierarchy.

User also updates Master data properties in Portal .For ex: User changes Currency for Entity and this triggers Import Master Data from Infoobject and these changes flow to BPC.

So these two packages Import Master Data from Flat File and Import master data from Infoobject are always running frequently when users changes values in Portal and at this point some other users will be doing submissions.

The issue is we are suspecting that Master data loads are causing Save data to fail. Some records are saved but not all.

May I know if standard BPC allows Save Data while Import Master Data is loaded either Flat file or Import Master Data from Infoobject is running in background. These updates Hierarchy and disturbs Dimension master , not sure if Save data is possible . I am getting mixed results while reproducing this issue , so need some expert comments on this issue.

Apologies for bad scrrenshot.

The text in the screenshot is below

EPM . General Error

* Failed to Save Data

Details : Framework Message

Failed to read Master Data from Dimension Entity

Thanks,

Krishna

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts ,

Any suggestions.

Thanks,

Krishna

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

In general, the idea that you will be able to change master data in parallel with transaction data entry is bad. You have to do it in different time slots using some schedule. BW is not ECC

Vadim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanks for confirming. In my previous projects we always used to take environment offline when Master data is going to be updated .

I stepped into this  project during UAT stage. Wanted confirmation from experts if any fucntionality has changed recently . I now got what I am looking for

Thanks,

Krishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Vadim,

I know about the limitation but we have been fighting with SAP all this while and eventually it looks like we have succeeded in getting a solution for this business requirement. This appears to be a big update and I would like the Consultant world to know about this.

We have applied this

Note 1958480  Allow user logon BPC client while others are importing maste

which was hiding somewhere till now .SAP development team was under the same opinion as we are that Master data and Transaction data loads cant run in parallel but after applying this Note as suggested by one of the developer recently, it looks like both are running in parallel.

In the testing I noticed that I am able to load Import Master data from Flat File and Copy Transaction data (in cube) and Copy transaction data (cross cube) successfully. Both Master and transaction data loads are now running in parallel.

I was not able to believe but it appears to be working now as we expected .

We are going to do fully blown testing to see if we are going to face any dead blocks.

With this looks like we have a 100% working Real time Master Data loads functionality as expected by User.

Thanks,

Krishna

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

May be in some cases this approach will work and in some cases will result in inconsistency...  Very detailed testing has to be performed for the specific business case!

B.R. Vadim

former_member200327
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

You should be fine if your Save doesn't use Properties of MD. If it does, in DEFAULT or in BADIs, then you'll never know if it's going to use that value before it was updated by the load or after.

Regards,

Gersh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

Try run program UJA_REFRESH_DIM_CACHE in se38.

and then load data again.

Andy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andy,

Thanks for replying.

As I mentioned these data loads are dynamic and run frequently whenever user changes master data in portal. In peak Production usage season these Master data packages are run very frequently ie every 5 min Import master data from Flat file and Infoobject are triggered and in between some users will be trying to submit data.

How can we solve this scenario.

Thanks,

Krishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

It is a difficult situation, you can't save data while the dimension is processing.

maybe try set a specific time for portal users to update, or find a way to store the update somewhere and only submit in a fixed time slot.

Andy