cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HANA Migration issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

Need some advice with our HANA migration from DB2 to HANA SP7 using Classical migration with SWPM.

Our migration export and import are not in parallel. Test runs of export was 14 hours and import (migration monitor time) was about 8 hours. That was in sandbox (Windows 2008 standalone) with unsorted load option and table splitting used for 3 tables.

Now with same settings and similar sized data (3.4 TB), but in Win 2008 MS Cluster, the export took 12 hours and import has been running for 36 hours. The hardware is similar (except the CPU speed being a little less). I can see that during the import, it is not using much of CPU or memory of the Windows server (unlike in sandbox where CPU was at 20% at times) in this case it's barely touhing 3%. Memory utilization is at 5-7% range.
I have increased the parallel R3load processes now from 76 to 100 (while the import is running) but not much improvement. It's stil not using resources. There is no network bottleneck or disk latency issue. I'm even retrying with export dump being on local disk instead of SAN but it's still running for 24+ hours now. The version of R3load is the one that came with the HANA kernel (same as it was sandbox and Dev)

Any pointers would be helpful. SAP support has been taking too long to even look at the issue since this is QA but our timeline is getting seriously affected with this.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

First, you really should be doing a parallel export-import for a database of this size. The downtime window will kill you otherwise.

I recently did a MSCS cluster migration to HANA and we did have this problem on one run. It was due to a very large RS table that wasn't split correctly. Table splitting can kill you.

So go back and look at your table split, look at the details of which tables are importing slowly (you can see this in the logs). Check all your kernels, disp+work, SAP HANA Clients, r3load and libdbsql are all on the VERY LATEST versions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am also facing the same issues while importing to HANA like krish murthy said. We splited the tables & import were not started of those tables. Rest of packages & tables were importing.

But, it worked on SAND box pefectly with out any issue.

Please reply back if you have any solution.

Regards,

Sanketh

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP used to require that you use a certified migration consultant because migrations are tricky. You need to provide detailed information if you need assistance, or raise a support request with SAP.

Try updating SWPM, kernel, HANA DB, HANA Client and libdbsl.

What you describe isn't unusual,  it just needs troubleshooting.