cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Isolate CI(primary application server)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I know to check the checkbox to update dialog instance(additional application servers) during the configuration phase to upgrade dialog instances as part of EHP upgrade however before downtime when I am asked to isolate the primary application server, the guide states "Shut down all application servers, if necessary (secondary SAP instances)."  I would shut the application servers down for SUM to update and bring them up at the end of the downtime. Can someone advise what clause applies to shutdown if necessary as this statement seem ambiguous to me. We are anyway stopping jobs, users, interfaces from doing anything in production during downtime so I am wondering what could be the possible reason why the application servers can remain running within this clause. Can any one shed some light and your experiences in this regard.  I plan to shut them down when isolating PAS and let SUM update them as part of downtime. Does any one differ on this at all.

Regards

Kalyan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

The application server should be stopped manually as SUM will not be able to stop them. The CI or PAS should be isolated as SUM will be stopping the CI and starting it.

Can someone advise what clause applies to shutdown if necessary as this statement seem ambiguous to me. We are anyway stopping jobs, users, interfaces from doing anything in production during downtime so I am wondering what could be the possible reason why the application servers can remain running within this clause.

There is no reason to keep the AS's up as they will function only if the CI is up. If you have additional AS' SUM needs to update them, especially the profiles. During the downtime the upgrade tool will switch the kernel and the repository with the target version.

Regards

RB

Answers (0)