cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design Studio - Errors Connecting to Data Sources

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Recently I have experiencing serious errors when using Design Studio. I am using SAP BW 7.2, BOBJ 4.1, and Design Studio 1.3 SP 0. We created OLAP Connections in the CMC which we are using for the data sources. The main problem is when I open an existing dashboard, the existing data sources are no longer connected - meaning they show up as data sources but there is no data connectivity. When I try to create a new connection, after selecting the Connection, I get one of the following errors:

Sometimes it let's me still pick the query, but even when the Data Source is completed, if I try to edit initial view I get the error: "Failed to instantiate data source. See error log or details." The error log is constantly adding new lines of errors to the log.

Basically the OLAP Connections don't seem to be working. Nothing was changed on the security side, and we tested with an Admin ID and it also could not connect. When I try to add a data source to a chart or crosstab, instead of seeing data I see:

Have any of you ever experienced these issues or have any insight on this? It would be very much appreciated, as we cannot do development at all.

Thanks,

John

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

mike_howles4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This sounds like the SSO (STS) configuration on the BI Platform is out of sorts.  I'd be willing to bet that this is not specifically a Design Studio problem, but a a problem with STS config in general.  You could prove that theory out by attempting to open that same Query in Analysis OLAP on that server.  Maybe check with your admins if it bugs out there, too?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Thank for for your response. I tested and had the same issue with Analysis for OLAP and Analysis for Excel, so I think you are right about the STS. Do you have any suggestions for the STS settings or what we can do to try to fix it? We opened an SAP message and they referred us to KBA 1767629, which suggested creating an Enterprise account with an SAP alias, and try to test the files. I was able to open Design Studio applications in the client tool that I could not open before. Afterward all developers were able to do work again, but the next day the issues came back. We replied to the SAP message but have not heard back yet.

Today, we tried re-importing the BOBJ certificate and rebooting the BOBJ server and tomcat After rebooting, Design Studio worked for around 3 hours, then we started seeing the same errors from my previous post, which halted development and made me lose 2 hours of work because I wasn't able to save my file.

A few hours later and lots of testing in Design Studio, I still got the SSO configuration error, but I was able to get data from the data sources, unlike yesterday. Sometimes when I save, I get the following errors, but if I try a second time it usually saves. I also get the "Read timed out" error when trying to log in to BI Platform mode, and have to log in a second time for it to work.

Right now I don't seem to experience any problems, but this can change without anyone doing anything to the settings. I only have two error messages now, which don't seem to impact my ability to develop:

- ERROR [9d12908e-33ef-43a8-b2a8-c16d3a9d7358]: Unknown Error

- BI exception with class "BIBaseRuntimeException" and message "Unknown Error". See default trace for log ID "9d12908e-33ef-43a8-b2a8-c16d3a9d7358".

Has anyone ever seen these errors before? Any suggestions would be a huge help.

Thanks,

John

mike_howles4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm not a BI Platform administrator expert, so I really wouldn't know what's wrong on that side.  You may want to post in the BI Platform SCN Space or SAP Service Marketplace for Notes and see if you get better advice there, or check with your BI admins (if that's someone other than you), or finally, open an OSS Incident up with SAP if you run out of ideas.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Thanks again for your help. It ended up being a problem with the CMS. It was resolved by adding an extra SIA server with CMS service on BOE server. One we added this, the Design Studio errors went away.

Thanks,

John

mike_howles4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Glad to hear you got it working and thanks for returning to the thread with confirmation of positive results!  It's very easy to get something fixed and bail from a thread