cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active Directory error using Upgrade Mgmt Tool - BI 4.1 sp 3

coreoposis
Explorer
0 Kudos

I am in the process of creating a new BI 4.1 SP 3 environment within out company.  The software has been installed and I wanted to perform a Complete Upgrade from our existing XI 3.1 sp5 environment into our new 4.1 environment.  Also, we are using Windows Active Directory authentication and AD groups for security.

The Upgrade Mgmt Tool fails with an Active Directory Error message similar to the one below:

Active Directory Authentication failed to get the Active Directory groups for account with ID <insert really long alpha numeric string here>; CN=<insert name of employee no longer working for the company>.  Please make sure this account is valid and belongs to an accessible domain.

Well, the account is not valid because this executive no longer works here.  Most likely within Active Directory all groups owned by this person were transferred over to his replacement.  Is there an way to have the upgrade mgmt tool bypass this validation check?  Or does anyone have any other suggestions how to get around this error?  Once this error occurs I can't upgrade.  I guess the alternative is to do an incremental upgrade, group by group, until I find the offending group but I was wondering if there was an easier way as that will be very time consuming.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

First Update the Win AD authentication in BO 3.1. This will help you to remove unavailable AD users from BO.

Later try to Upgrade it from BO 3.1 to 4.X.

coreoposis
Explorer
0 Kudos

@JRKPrasad  Thank your for your thoughtful and accurate response.  It took less than 2 minutes to update AD in BI 3.1.x and the UMT tool is off and running migrating content from BI 3.1 to our new BI 4.1 environment. 

Again, thank you very much for reading my post and responding.  It was a huge timesaver.

Former Member
0 Kudos

If the person is left, the ID is no longer in AD or in CMC, obviously you will get the error. Why don't use the admin account or Valid ID to use the UMT.