Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Sybase ASE Understanding EBF

Bonjour Community,

I am DBA not so new to Sybase but new to maintaining the software.  I currently having an issue that should be fix by applying an EBF, the problem is, since I am looking at these EBFs I am having the worse headhache ever ... !

I am running Sybase ASE 15.7 Cluster Edition, Build 3556 (EBF 22865 Cluster Edition SP111 )

How am I suppose to understand EBF when I get this :

Patch level? What is it?

EBF number higher when the date is older?

EBF SP number is lower when the date is more recent?

Example :

EBF 22234: 15.7 SP121 - 64 Bit  (Last changed : 09.04.2014)

EBF 22832: 15.7 SP63 - 64 Bit (Last changed : 11.07.2014)

This is really confusing, should I install EBF based on the SP level or based on the date.

The bug I have requires SP121 and higher, will EBF 22779: 15.7 SP122 - 64 Bit (06.05.2014) include the fix I need or will EBF 22832: 15.7 SP63 - 64 Bit, which is much more recent, be the one I need?

I have been looking around to find a well built document that would explain what is the SP level, Patch level, ESD (now, what is an ESD?) but to no avail.

Could you please, help me understand all of this?

Best Regards,

William

Tags:
Former Member
replied

In layman's terms (ie, off the top of Mark's head) ...

First you've got the software package, ASE, ASE/CE, REPserver, SDK, etc

Then you've got the software version, eg, ASE 15.0.3, ASE 15.5, ASE 15.7, ASE 16, REP 15.7.1

Then you've got a patch level, eg, SP63, SP111, SP121

NOTE: ESD## is the old Sybase patch level (eg, ESD2, ESD5) and has been replaced with SAP's patch level designator SP###

The EBF is typically a unique, ever-increasing number assigned to a combination of software package, version #, patch level and OS platform. For example, ASE 15.7 SP121 has been released for several OS platforms (linux 64bit, Solaris SPARC 64bit, Solaris x86 64bit, etc) so you'll find several downloads for ASE 15.7 SP121 with a different EBF related to each of the supported platforms.  An EBF number should relate to a unique download file (out of all possible Sybase software downloads).

As for your questions ...

The easiest way (for me) to keep track of the ASE SP(2-digit) and SP(3-digit) codes ... these are 2 different code paths, with the 2-digit series being an older code path with new code releases representing (mostly) bug fixes ... while the 3-digit series is a newer code path with new code releases representing new features as well as bug fixes.

NOTE: The 2-digit and 3-digit paths are currently active, ie, we continue to see new releases for both code paths (hence what looks like conflicting release dates if comparing a 2-digit release to a 3-digit release); as long as you compare 2-digit releases to 2-digit releases, and 3-digit releases to 3-digit releases, you should be fine.

In your case you're running ASE/CE 15.7 SP111 EBF22865 (ie, a 3-digit release, so ignore the 2-digit releases). So from an upgrade perspective you're looking for 15.7 a) SPXXX where XXX > 111 and b) EBFYYYYY where YYYYY > 22865 *AND* refers to the same OS version that you're currently running on (eg, Solaris SPARC 64bit).

Obviously (?) you could also look at ASE 16 (if available for ASE/CE) in which case you're likely looking for the larges SPXXX with an EBFYYYYY where YYYYY > 22865 *AND* refers to the same OS version that you're currently running on.

Clear as mud? ;-)

3 View this answer in context

Helpful Answer

by
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question