cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logic of the Initialized Planning Area Function in DP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Does anyone know what the logic is for the /sapapo/TS_PAREA_INITIALIZE in terms of how it determines that a week belongs to a period? For example, how does it know that Wk8 belongs to Pd 2? I';m sure it has something to do with the fiscal year variant but it does not make sense to me why we are getting a record out there in the planning area where Wk8 has a period of 2 and also another record for wk8 but it has a period of 3.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Are you loading data from an infocube. What is/ are the date format(s) there.

The planning area data is actually stored in technical periods. So if you have a fiscal year and have defined it overlapping a week you might the issue

Have you defined your fiscal year variants so that it takes a whole week into account. (The first day of a week is usually a monday i think)

What date or day is falling out? can you see a pattern in any other period?

Am not sure of if /sapapo/TS_PAREA_INITIALIZE is related directly to the issue

Question.

for eg you can do a Date to Period conversion in the infocube itself if you set the week(or any other time characterisitic that you are loading) - period conversion is in the update rules period --> details --> time characterisitics setting.

Also i hope you have checked for OSS notes on the issue, just in case it is some program error

I remember there was a similar question in the forum some time back

Former Member
0 Kudos

Harish,

Can you confirm that Monday is always the start day of the week in APO? Is this defined internatlly in APO or is there configuration that you can use to manage this?

Thanks,

Antonio

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think that is by default

also the macros for example take monday as the first day

You can set the starting day in time stream configuration but am not sure if it will help here

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check this out:

"If you specify a historical planning horizon in the data view, the first historical time bucket starts on the day before the future planning horizon start date. The second historical time bucket starts further back in the past, and so on. If you plan in weeks, the first day of the week is always a Monday."

For more information, read <a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_scm40/helpdata/en/17/a5214a32a111d398260000e8a49608/frameset.htm">Planning Buckets Profile</a>.

Hope this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks for that. I was looking for where this as mentioned and couldnt find.

I also think you can use time stream to define the sequence of the weekdays and can make sunday a start day

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

somnath_manna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Typically this week belonging to 2 periods happens for the cusp weeks.

Though in your case there might be fiscal year variant issue also. The cusp weeks are those weeks which cross over from one month to another. SAP internally breaks the week into two technical periods one containing X days for month M and another containing 7-X days for month M+1.

As a result if you extract data from planning area to an Infocube you shall get two records for this week as Week8-Mon2 and Week8-Mon3.

There is an OSS note 737230 explaining this.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Somnath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Emmanuel, Harish and Somnath. I'm going to attempt to answer all your questions in this one.

Here's the configuration of the storage bucket profile we are using:

Periodicity:

Week and PostPeriod buttons are checked.

Fiscal Year Variant=46 (see below for definition)

For 2008

1 28 1 0

2 25 2 0

3 31 3 0

4 28 4 0

5 26 5 0

6 30 6 0

7 28 7 0

8 25 8 0

9 29 9 0

10 27 10 0

11 24 11 0

12 29 12 0

12 31 1 +1

Horizon:

Start Date: 01/02/2000

End Data: 12/31/2007

Time Stream ID:

NONE

We are just executing the initialize planning area function and the time series created in the planning area is what I indicated above for 2008.

Is it because our storage bucket profile horizon end data is only until 2007?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I suppose so

I think when you initialized the planning area the time horizons you set here wouldve self adjusted based on the storage bucket profile. Did you notice anything like that?

you might like to create another storage bucket profile with a longer time horizon and replace this one in the planning area (if you are not in production)

Am not sure if there is any reason for your not having a longer horizon there since you cant change the SBP

"If you would like to change the periodicities of storage buckets profile '9ADP' and it is not a standard SAP storage buckets profile, you first have to deinitialize all planning areas with time series key figures. You can then change the periodicities of the storage buckets profile."

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Antonio,

I believe /SAPAPO/TS_PAREA_INITIALIZE checks the storage bucket profile of your planning area. In storage bucket profile, a fiscal variant is specified if you select periods as one of the buckets.

Check what storage bucket profile is assigned to your planning area (transaction /SAPAPO/MSDP_ADMIN) and then check the configuration of the storage bucket profile in transaction /SAPAPO/TR32 (e.g. check the fiscal year variant, time streams). From there you can deduce to the period->week mapping.

Hope this helps.