Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CMMS engineer wanting to know about a career in SAP MM

Former Member
0 Kudos

i'm surya, i'm working as CMMS engineer, my basic qualification is B.Tech (EEE)..

i would like to know about the career in SAP MM, as i am working for a SAP MM backend process i would like to learn SAP MM module..

do some one guide me how to choose the best way to get good training and placement..

thanks in advance

regards

surya

Message was edited by: Colleen Lee - changed to a meaningful title instead of "greetings "

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Surya,

If you are serious about getting any suggestions, I suggest you provide more information.

For example:

- What is CMMS?

- What were your Roles and Responsibilities as a CMMS Engineer?

- What is a B.Tech (EEE)? Remember that you are posting this questions to non-Indians too.

- What exactly do you do working for a SAP MM backend process?

- Why do you want to switch your career?

- How do you want us to guide you in getting trained?

And most importantly, when writing to an audience try to use proper language, punctuation and sentence formations. All these matter in the end.

pk

10 REPLIES 10

RamanKorrapati
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

While opening discussion please use proper or meaningful headline in future.

Thanks

0 Kudos

thanks for the reply..

sure i do..

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Surya,

If you are serious about getting any suggestions, I suggest you provide more information.

For example:

- What is CMMS?

- What were your Roles and Responsibilities as a CMMS Engineer?

- What is a B.Tech (EEE)? Remember that you are posting this questions to non-Indians too.

- What exactly do you do working for a SAP MM backend process?

- Why do you want to switch your career?

- How do you want us to guide you in getting trained?

And most importantly, when writing to an audience try to use proper language, punctuation and sentence formations. All these matter in the end.

pk

0 Kudos

Firstly thanks for sparing your time..

Here is a brief explanation of my work experience..

- CMMS stands for Computerized Maintenance Management System

- My roles and responsibilities

• Preparation of Project Execution Plan based on Scope of Work
  • Review the scope document and acquire the equipment involved in the project
  • Preparing the Equipment Master Data from P&ID’s and SLD’s.
  • Asset Verification from the Onshore Fields and Collecting the Maintenance Data of all Maintainable Equipment.
  • Preparing Equipment Hierarchy by Using Asset Build Software.
  • Preparing the Unique BOM (Bill of Material)
  • Preparing the SPF (Stock Proposal Form) for the Materials.
  • Preparation of RSA (Risk Spare Analysis) reports using SOS tool
  • Preparation of Preventive Maintenance (PM) Strategy for Technical Objects

- I'm a Graduate in Electrical & Electronics Engineering (EEE).

B.Tech. (Bachelor of Technology)

- As concerned with SAP, i prepare a Master Database which compiles with our End User QP (Qatar Petroleum ) SAP Database

- I would like to boost my career with a platform of globalized opportunities, i finally decided that SAP is the right choice.

- I don't know how to start learning about SAP MM, i tried to search in Google but i found various modules and many people use to say FI is ever demanding, ABAP is the best option, but my intention is that as i have good knowledge in Maintenance Master Data preparation, so learning SAP MM will be a good option to step into SAP Platform... my question was how to start up leaning SAP.. which is the basic module to learn for a better idea on SAP... what is the certification criteria...

Regards

Surya

0 Kudos

Surya,

The best way to start learning SAP MM is to go for a classroom training or even an online webcast kind of training (these days such trainings are becoming more popular and commonplace since not everybody has the time/resources to attend  classrooms).

Choosing a module requires a certain thought process based in your past work experiences, interests and to some extent your educational background. From what information you have provided, SAP MM is not a bad choice at all.

There's always a good demand for FI consultants, but unless you have a strong accounting background I wouldn't suggest you going for it. Similarly, unless you have a good coding and analytical skill or interest, ABAP is a no-no.

SAP Certification may enhance your chances of getting a job, but its not guaranteed. So think (and research) before you invest money in Certification.

pk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi surya,

it doesnt mean that u must become SAP MM consultant, just because you are SAP MM end user, every one who drives a car need not switch career to be a car mechanic.

Learn SAP if ur passionate about this software & can see future in it, talk to your well wishers not with the counselors at some local institutes

0 Kudos

Firstly Thanks Mr. RAO for sparing your time..

I'm really passionate to learn SAP, but i have a confusion that which module i have to choose.. Please guide me how to choose a module..

as i'm currently working on Materials which module can fetch my career..

0 Kudos

Surya,

Step 1 is to educate yourself on SAP in general and the SAP MM module in particular. As strange as it may sound, the internet is not the best place to find this basic education. Your best bet is to find a good introductory book on SAP that lays out everything at a very high level, then follow that up with a book about SAP MM that starts at a basic level, then dives into deeper detail.

You might try to find some of this information via You Tube or some other video site, but there are tons of videos and finding the ones that start at your level may be difficult. I do not recommend paying for training until you have done this very basic groundwork.

There are a number of blogs that offer advice for newcomers to SAP on this forum. You might start at SAP Career Blog Links

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

--Tom

0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

0 Kudos

This message was moderated.