Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considerations About Renaming HANA Node Hostname

former_member182967
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

We have a task to change HANA server hostname from A to B.

As far as I know, we can use rename SAP HANA system function in HLM.

I have some concerns:

1. Should I need to manually change HANA hostname using OS command before or after executing rename in HLM?

2. Any addtional things should we perform after renaming.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Tong Ning

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tong,

You can have a look at Rename an SAP HANA System Host - SAP HANA Administration Guide - SAP Library

Best regards,

Wenjun

former_member182967
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Wenjun,

Firstly, thanks for your quick reply.

Our HANA environment is SPS06, so we have to use the HLM method.

Any other things?

Thanks & Best Regards,

Tong Ning

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Take a good backup. This process sometimes fails and you may need to restore OS/DB.

If possible update to SPS08 and use the Lifecycle Manager.

An alternative is to ask the hardware vendor to reinstall with the correct host and SID. This is the most reliable method.

Hope this helps!

former_member182967
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello John,

Thanks for your remind, I will take a successful backup first.

What I think is that after renaming, we need to update DNS entris, re-apply hana license. And any thing else need to be done after renaming?

Thanks & Best Regards,

Tong Ning

Former Member
0 Kudos

It should work after this, though you will obviously need to repoint any systems e.g. ABAP which need to point to the new host. If you have an AS ABAP then you will need to do more work because the DB host is in the AS ABAP profile.

Just for the record, I don't recommend you do change hostnames or SIDs of HANA DBs. It is much safer to reinstall. I don't think that advice is much different for other databases like MSSQL/Oracle.

markus_karsch5
Explorer
0 Kudos

I also recommend to be very careful with using system rename option. Unfortunately if anything fails the whole procedure stops and there is no option to resume the process. I don't understand why SAP has not added any resume option and there is no warning message that in case of error you often can only restore or do fresh install. There is note 2142432 which could sometimes help but in my case did not work during testing a rename which failed (because of missing permissions of hana backup directory).

Regards

Markus

former_member182967
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Markus,

Thanks for your remind.

Regards,

Ning

Answers (0)