Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patch upgrade on IDM

laurent_vandenbemden
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I've been looking for a couple of days to properly patch my IDM systems.

At the moment we are running on 7.20 SP9 p0 and I would like to apply the IDENT. CENTER DESIGNTIME 7.2 patch 6.

However till now I never have found any documentation or guide to properly patch IDM.

We already applied a few patches when we were running 7.20 SP8 but I would like to verify if the way we are using is the correct one.

Has anyone ever seen this kind of doc ?

Thx,

Laurent

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ChrisPS
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Laurant,
                     in general all components of idM must be kept on the same Support Pack level but the patch levels do not need to match on all components. For the IdM designtime you need to run the mxmc-update script to update the database and the setup for the MMC console.

If you are already doing all of this then you are correctly patching IdM.

Hope this clarifies.

Chris

SAP AGS

laurent_vandenbemden
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Chris,

Is it also better to update the SAP provisioning framework included in the package?

Does the provisioning queue need to be empty to perform the update?

Thx a lot,

Laurent

ChrisPS
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Laurent,
                 yes good question - the answer is yes. Updates to scripts in the framework will be delivered through the updated framework for example.

The best practice is to copy the standard frameworks and use these. If not then if you make any change to the standard then the update will overwrite any of these changes you have made.

No the provisioning queue does not need to be empty but stop the dispatchers before performing any update so that no processing is occurring at the time.

Regards,

Chris

laurent_vandenbemden
Participant
0 Kudos

Wonderfull.

Might be a stupid question but would it be an issue if I first do an export of my actual framework, import the new updated framework with the scripts (from patch) and after that re-import the framework I first exported but without the scripts?

thx,

Laurent

deepakkg86
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Laurent,

You can do so but that doesnt make any difference if you were using Copy of SAP Provisioning framework.

By chance if you have made changes in your SAP Standard provisioning framework then I would recommmend to copy it before upgrading so you need not to do export import of your old framework and continue using with new updated scripts.

In case you want to perform Patch upgrade, then below are the steps I used to follow :

1.Make sure the system is backed up based on your current backup procedures

2.Stop all dispatchers and event agents

3.Uninstall the old DESIGNTIME and RUNTIME components (Not always required to uninstall, you can simple install the latest component and those should upgrade)

4.From the new version folder locate the database folder and select your database type (SQLServer/Oracle/DB2

5.Run the appropriate upgrade script (check the Database specific PDF file for
information on customization and detailed procedure)  You'll probably need to engage your DBAs on this as well.

6.Install the new DESIGNTIME and RUNTIME components

7.Verify the new version is installed through the MMC Console (you should notice the change in version on the splash screen and then when you go into look at the ID Store

8.Restart your dispatchers and event agents

Regards

Deepak Gupta

laurent_vandenbemden
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Deepak,

I was not using a copy of the framework till now but as it out of these explanations I will start using a copy of the framework. The customer's customizing requests will be applied to the copy instead of the "normal" provisioning folder. So I will be able to upgrade the patches more easily.

Next upgrade of my dev system is planned this wednesday so I'll give it a try.

Thanks all for your advices.

Krz,

Laurent

deepakkg86
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Laurent,

Please make this post as answered in case your query is answered.

If you have still any questions left then pls let us know.

Regards

Deepak Gupta

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.