cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from Solman 7.1 SP6 to Solman 7.1 SP11

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

We have Solution Manager 7.1 SP6 and we are planning to upgrade it to Solution Manager 7.1 SP11.

I would like to know the impact analysis to our existing configuration because we are using charm in our current set up.

Impact analysis in terms of which support pack would be affected during this upgrade and how should we proceed for it

as per standard practice.

Thanks in advance.

Tejas Dave

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tejas,

This is just a support pack stack update not a release upgrade.

Read about what SP11 bring to your system - improvements and correction with added new features. Of course, you need to read more on this and there are many notes and SCN thread full of experiences.

This is what you have to do:

*******. Backup you system

1. Calculate the stack from MOPZ

2. Prepare system for update

3. Update your system with SUM

4. Perform post updates

5. Apply central correction note for SP11

6. Run solman_setup and re-execute steps which are marked for update.

If you have doubts then do a quick search for KBAs and note.

Refer - Changes and New Features in SAP Solution Manager 7.1 SP11 - SAP Solution Manager - SAP Library

Look at - 1933506 - SAP Solution Manager 7.1 SP11 - Basic functions

Regards,

Divyanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Divyanshu for your helpful answer.

I would like to know timeline and effort for this entire activity.

We have four system landscape for solution manager and they have configured Charm and QGM in their current set up.

Regards,

Tejas Dave

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tejas,

The above steps that I have mentioned can be done in 5-7 days, considering time for some issues.

For Charms and  QGM, I am not sure on the amount of time that would take to adjust.

Perhaps, Jansi or Prakhar can give you better idea.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tejas,

>I would like to know timeline and effort for this entire activity.

corresponding to the steps posted by Divyanshu:

1. Calculate the stack from MOPZ and download (4h)

2. Prepare system for update (4h)

3. Update your system with SUM (1-2 days)

4. Perform post updates  (4h)

5. Apply central correction note for SP11 (4h)

6. Run solman_setup and re-execute steps which are marked for update. (1-2 days)

Speed of SUM depends on power of your system, same for solman_setup.

Speed of download depends on your connection, but is done only once for all systems.

I would add on more step:

7. Retest CHARM and QGM with SP11 (8h)

Be aware, that

3. Update your system with SUM (1-2 days)

requires a lot of additional space in you database.

Kind regards,

Christoph

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christoph,

Thanks for your prompt and helpful answer.

I would like to know after up gradation which type of post processing activities should we need to follow. For e.g. Testing of CHARM and QGM.

And If we want to upgrade up to SP12 would it be proper decision from our side or not .

Kind Regards,

Tejas Dave.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tejas,

you should always update your Solution Manager to newest available SP-Stack - today it is SPS12.

Please take a look to SAP release map for Solution Manager, when the next SPxx is planned for shipment to customers. Sometime you could wait for the next SPxx - if time is e.g. less than a month.

I would like to know after up gradation which type of post processing activities should we need to follow. For e.g. Testing of CHARM and QGM.

You should test your main activities with these both tools after the update. Typically you update first a test or sandbox system, so that your productive Solution Manager system is not touched first.

So in the test system play some scenarios in Charm oder QGM with create/change/workflow or whatever you within. Check if it works as before for your success.

You could also check some customizing of Charm or QGM, if something has changed.

Typically you will have also some steps regarding the different Solution Manager Tools in the transaction SOLMAN_SETUP (which is an separeted update step - see above).

For you testing you could you test managment inside the Solution Manager it self or use other tools for testcase descriptions and planning.

Kind regards,

Christoph

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dave,

upgrading to SP11 is always a good idea because lot of bugfixes and functional improvements are coming with increasing SP number.

The supportpackage-stack-advisor (https://service.sap.com/~sapidb/011000358700001380432011E) let you know, which data you need to download from SAP and you have the possibility to request a side effect report for the delta SP06->SP11.

Additional there exist always a SAP note for each stack with information for install and possible issues during installation. For SP11 it is: http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1953075

After applying all files ot the supportpackage stacks with SUM tool, you have to redo the transaction SOLMAN_SETUP in your main client in Solution Manager system.

Kind regards,

Christoph