Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EHP6 upgrade with PI in the landscape

former_member206857
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I realize all documentation say that you must always keep your PI boxes at the highest levels in your landscape.

I know oss note 1043047 and 954820 speak to this.

I'm just became part of a project that over looked this. We are planning a EHP6 upgrade.

This will bring in NW 731 stack right?

Our PI is old at NW 7.11

The SLD on the PI's are to the latest versions.

The project to migrate to PO is coming after ehp6.

Again this was all planned before I came on board.

Any thoughts of what to expect? I still believe it should work fine until we get to the upgrade.

If not, can anyone explain technically why not?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

former_member206857
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I found this that helps confirm..

patelyogesh
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As I told you...

-Yogesh

patelyogesh
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

This will bring in NW 731 stack right? - No unless you upgrade PI system, Upgrading ECC will not impact PI

The project to migrate to PO is coming after ehp6. - You can do this after EHP project finish

Any thoughts of what to expect?  - I will say upgrade your ERP system to new EHP and leave PI as it is. Once your ERP system upgrade finish you can upgrade PI or perform new installation and migrate scenarios to new PI

-Yogesh

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

This will bring in NW 731 stack right?

Correct.

Any thoughts of what to expect?

There shouldn't be any issues with the dependencies involved. The system should work fine after the upgrade.

Regards

RB

former_member1012268
Participant
0 Kudos

You should under all circumstances perform a test upgrade, on a sandbox system first.

The theory of the upgrade is one thing, the problems of doing it for real are a quiet different matter.

You can see the changes (including what new kernel version will be installed), when reviewing the stack calculation report as done by MOPz (SolMan Maintenance Optimizer).

It will tell you exactly what software component gets replaced with what other version.

Also consider the impact on development, and if you have a multi-system landscape, you gotta plane in which sequence to upgrade what server.

Last not least, consider performance impact and downtime.

I have seen PI systems so (over)utilized that they literally "cooked the hardware" they were running on.

Putting the added strain of performing an upgrade on such a system, might be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

That is why sandbox testing is so essential here.