cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWBC Side Panel and SAP GUI Scripting

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I was hoping someone might be able to clarify the SAP GUI scripting requirements for using the NWBC side panels. In the help documentation it states:

As of NWBC 3.5 patch level 6 or NWBC 4.0 and SAP GUI 7.20 patch level 13 or 7.30 final release, it is no longer necessary to enable SAP GUI Scripting on the client PC, except if you are using Property Collector. That means, it is no longer necessary to enable front-end scripting through registry key (HKLM and HKCU) for using side panels in NWBC. However, it is still necessary to install SAP GUI Scripting and to enable it for the server (at least read-only).

Some of our users are getting pop up messages that say "The scripting support is not installed"... interestingly they don't actually appear to be opening a side panel when they get this message.

I noticed that these users don't actually have SAP GUI scripting installed at all, so not that it is just not enabled, it is not installed in these cases. So does the above section from the help documentation mean that SAP GUI scripting must be installed on the client PC but it does not actually have to be enabled?

That's how I am currently reading it... but perhaps someone can clarify for me, or someone else has had a similar experience.

Thanks,
Simon

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

claudia_binder
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Simon,

As written in the documentation you quoted:

Simon Kemp wrote:

Hi,

I was hoping someone might be able to clarify the SAP GUI scripting requirements for using the NWBC side panels. In the help documentation it states:

As of NWBC 3.5 patch level 6 or NWBC 4.0 and SAP GUI 7.20 patch level 13 or 7.30 final release, it is no longer necessary to enable SAP GUI Scripting on the client PC, except if you are using Property Collector. That means, it is no longer necessary to enable front-end scripting through registry key (HKLM and HKCU) for using side panels in NWBC. However, it is still necessary to install SAP GUI Scripting and to enable it for the server (at least read-only).

Meaning: SAP GUI Scripting need to be installed on the client PC, although it is not required to activate it:

Regards,

Claudia

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

julieplummer20
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Simon,

Claudia is correct. However, I agree that the docu could be better phrased , so I will pass this on to the KM team.

best wishes,

Julie R Plummer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Simon,

1. Scripting must be activated in the instance profile of the R/3 system. Goto transaction RZ10 and select the instance profile and open in ‘Extended Maintenance’  view.

2. Opening in ‘Extened Maintenance’ view.

3. Click the Display button and check whether the profile parameters ‘sapgui/user_scripting’  (or)  ‘sapgui/user_scripting_set_readonly’ are set to ‘TRUE’. If not, open the profile in edit mode and mark them to ‘TRUE’ and save.

For screenshots please have a look at following link - the second highlighted yellow point.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Supriya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Supriya. I am more interested in the Client Side SAP GUI settings than the backend server settings. We can easily change the server setting, it will be harder to change the SAP GUI settings after we rollout to the desktop PCs - so I want to make sure we get all the settings right