cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Process to Upgrade SAP HANA from SPS06 to SPS07 on distributed systems

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We have a requirement to upgrade our SAP HANA system system from SPS06 to SPS07, but I have below queries on the same:

1) Do we need to consider any Notes before applying the upgrade for pre and post steps (as per my knowledge we have to consider post upgrade note: 1962472, are there any other too?)

2) As per my knowledge, we just need to stop SAP app systems and then backup of HANA system

3) Also we have a distributed environment in our landscape (three multiple hosts), what could be the upgrade approach, is it same as like single host environment (as /hana/shared will be the common to all distributed hosts)

Could anyone clarify my questions please.

Also for your information we have BW systems on top of HANA DB

Thanks very much in advance !

Kind Regards,

Arun Reddy

Message was edited by: Tom Flanagan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

First, why not go to Rev.82? SPS07 is old now.

1) Yes, read the target revision release notes. There are VERY important considerations if you are on Rev. 63 or 64.

2) Correct

3) Correct

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

Thank you for the response, our source and target levels are (Source - 1.00.69.00.385196 Target - 1.00.74.03.392810)

I just wanted to ask you one more quick question here, can't we upgrade the above mentioned versions in one go? or we need to upgrade in two steps like, at first upgrading from 1.00.69.00.385196 to 1.00.73.00.389160  and then to target level 1.00.74.03.392810?

Also as you said in distributed environment we can upgrade as same like single host environment, so it same like below approach?

1) stopping the hana database

2) navigate to media path and then execute hdblcm in gui or command line

3) select option upgrading existing system

4) provide the passwords and system poped-up inputs

5) select the target levels of HANA components

6) once upgrade done successfully, then need to upgrade hana client in all app servers

if my above assumption is correct, then I have couple of questions like:

1) in which host we need to login and perform the upgrade? (as we are having three hosts- HANADB1, HANADB2, HANADB3) , is it okay we can do from any of the three hosts?

2) Also if upgrade stopped at middle due to errors, do we have option like to start the upgrade from the point where it stop? else we need to restore the lat successful backup and then again need to perform the upgrade from starting point?

Sorry for asking many questions, i have done the upgrade in single host environment, but not on distributed. So wanted to be make sure with all points to action the activity.

Thanks for your help and patience in advance !

Kind Regards,
Arun Reddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can in general upgrade from any revision to any other. Check the release notes for restrictions.

Keep a backup of the FS and DB in case the upgrade fails, you would need to restore. This is unusual though especially in recent revisions.

You can run it from HANA Studio and it will take care of everything for you. Or run it on the master node. Scale-out operates much the same as a single node in this respect, but the upgrade takes a little longer.