cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue in XML during SUM Upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Colleagues,

Background: XML stack file will be used in SUM upgrade. In the past, I have experienced an issue wherein if a new software component is installed in the system after you have generated the stack file, SUM will throw an error as you stack file will no longer be valid.

Question: My question is this, I have generated my stack file today, with current kernel 7.20 64BIT with SP level 402. Come upgrade time 20 days from now, we will first manually upgrade the kernel to 7.20 64BIT SP level of 500. After that, we will do the SUM upgrade with the xml file  that I have generated originally. Will there be any conflicts during SUM? Would SUM invalidate and not accept the stack file that I will use as originally, it was generated with a kernel with a start version of 402.

Regards,

Meinard

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

former_member189797
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If its kernel then it might not cause issue but in case u update any software components after generating the stack.xml then it will cause issues.

Anyway, stack.xml will have the kernel for the target release

and this kernel will overwrite your existing kernel so changing the kernel on source release before the update with SUM will not cause any issue related to stack.xml

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Question: My question is this, I have generated my stack file today, with current kernel 7.20 64BIT with SP level 402. Come upgrade time 20 days from now, we will first manually upgrade the kernel to 7.20 64BIT SP level of 500. After that, we will do the SUM upgrade with the xml file  that I have generated originally. Will there be any conflicts during SUM?

NO.

Would SUM invalidate and not accept the stack file that I will use as originally, it was generated with a kernel with a start version of 402.

NO. As long as you have all the archives (patches and kernnel archives) in the downloads directory SUM will continue.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Reagan,

I will not have a kernel archive in the download  directory because i will not include the kernel in SUM upgrade. In mopz, i also UNTICKED the option to include kernel. Will this be stil alright?

Regards,

Meinard

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Meinard

If you were able to create the stack file without selecting the kernel in the MOPZ screen from the kernels listed and also if the target version is compatible with the kernel that is used by the system then you should not face any issues.

If the stack file contain a kernel entry and if it is not able to locate that in the downloads directory then SUM will terminate at that stage.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi reagan,

Because in the past, I had experience wherein when a component was changed after the xml file was generated, an error is appearing in configuration phase of SUM. Kindly see attached. Basically, will the stack file have a target version even if i did not select any kernel to be upgraded in mopz? Am i correct that it has only a start version and no target version? Thank you!

Regards,

Meinard

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Stack and Kernel are different.

Above error is related SFTP adapter seeburger not kernel.

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

The above issue is not due to the kernel instead there is a component called seeburger.com/AS2Adapter has been deployed in the system and this is not present in the stack file.

The stack file contains the source and target version ABAP and Java components and the version information.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Divyanshu,

Yes.. We would just like to eliminate those kind of issue that was why I am kindly asking if now changing the kernel will produce into an issue similar to that. Because in the log, you can see that "Probably the system was changed after the stack was generated". Which will be our case with the change of kernel version after the stack will be generated.

So if you are saying that SUM will work even if i change my kernel after the mopz xml generation, then I have to mark your answer as correct. Is this right?

Regards,

Meinard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Reagan,

Yes. Actually that was a screenshot from the past.. We would just like to eliminate those kind of issue that was why I am kindly asking if now changing the kernel will produce into an issue similar to that. Because in the log, you can see that "Probably the system was changed after the stack was generated". Which will be our case with the change of kernel version after the stack will be generated.

So are you saying that SUM will work even if i change my kernel after the mopz xml generation? Assuming that there is no target version during the mopz calculation for kernel (i unticked kernel choices)

Regards,

Meinard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Divyanshu,

Just to add, that screenshot was in the past. Similar thing happened when the landscape was changed after generating MOPZ xml stack file. That is why i am thinking that will happen again if ever the kernel will be changed after MOPZ generation

regards,

Meinard

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you update your kernel -Then I would say, your system remains at same level, however, kernel is updated not your system.

If you see in SUM, system Components and Kernel have different stages and are processed differently.

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

SUM will work no matter what the kernel version the system is running once the stack file has been generated.

Regards

RB

former_member189797
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,
Kernel update will not cause such issue. I am not sure about what your source and target release is but I would not recommend to uncheck the kernel during the MOPZ or you might hit the issue
described in KBA :

1847828 - Error in SUM upgrade Phase PREP_CONFIGURATION/ASKSWITCHES

Regards,
Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Reagan,

thank you so much! Appreciate your helpful answers. Thanks again.!

Regards,

Meinard

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I believe, you have the answer for your question with my 1st reply which was based on considering exclusion and inclusion of kernel in XML and doing the kernel update before running SUM.

Regards,

Divyanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

AFAIK, the kernel can be exchanged manually. Another option would be to put the 500 kernel in your SUM inbox, I think SUM looks for newer kernels there.

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

The Stack XML has source and target level information. And generally if there is any mismatch between XML and components to be deployed , the SUM is terminated.

So, now if you are also updating your kernel with stack using SUM, do not go for manual update, let SUM do it.

However, if your XML is not used for updating kernel, you should update your kernel before running SUM.

Regards,

Divyanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Divyanshu,

THank you for your reply. KERNEL will not be part of the upgrade using SUM. That is the strategy we are taking. So if this is the case that there will be no target kernel in the upgrade of XML, will SUM still accept my XML assuming that kernel upgrade is done first? Note that I have generated the xml with a lower version of the kernel.

Regards,

Meinard

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Meinard,

Thanks for the reply.

However, I am not getting this:

Note that I have generated the xml with a lower version of the kernel.

Do you mean to say the source system was using a lower kernel at the time of kernel ?

OR You have added a target kernel version to XML ?

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Helllo Divyanshu,

Basically, when I generated the XML stack file, I was using 402 level. So thus, what is logged in the xml is for kernel 402. But when I will use 20 days from now, I will upgrade the kernel manually  first to 500 then after, do the SUM upgrade. Will SUM see that my present kernel is on 500 but what is written in the xml stack file is 402? Thanks. I am skipping the step in upgrading the kernel through SUM if that's what you meant.

Regards,

Meinard

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Meinard,

But I would suggest to update Kernel+Stack together with single XML(Stack+Kernel)

Otherwise, you will have to plan two downtime.

With one XML for both, everything will be done together, just single planned downtime - and it's just 20 days away.

Regards,

Divyanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello ,

yES, actually, the reason why we are doing a seperate kernel is that we are aligning the landscape with the original kernel version of 500. If i generate kernel in sum now, it will be at 500 level.

Thanks!

Regards,

Meinard

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As I said before, You can update the kernel separately if you have not added kernel update in stack XML.