Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

roll up to initiatives not (completely) working

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

The context

We're running a PS module on one system and a PPM module (CPRXRPM 500_702) on another.

In PS, we have a bunch of PS Projects with lots of WBS, Networks and Activities, on which there are costs.

In PPM, we have one Item per PS Project (they're properly linked in rpm_obj_link), and these Items are related to some Initiatives and some Buckets, everything being related to a single Portfolio.

What we're trying to do

We're using /RPM/FICO_INT_PLANNING to roll up costs from the PS Projects into the PPM Items, Buckets and Initiatives. We're using option "Integr., Planning and Rollup" of that program.

All the configuration to enable this has been done and double-checked, as per the official documentation.

The issue

While roll up on Buckets and Items are OK, roll up on Initiatives is not. When looking into NWBC's financial views, we have zeroes everywhere, instead of the sum of the related items.

We noticed that the corresponding entry in financial view table V_INM_INIT_DB is missing, despite the data in the related tables being complete. It's as if we just need that one entry to be created for the NWBC to work.

The only way we managed to make it work is by changing the financial period breakdown on the Initiative (from annual to something else, then back to annual). Then if we run the roll up again it works. However, we have a lot of Initiatives to handle and will have more in the future, so a manual fix is not a good enough solution. Besides, this works only when done via NWBC (see below).

What we already tried to solve it

- we triple-checked the configuration of both systems, everything is fine

- we installed notes 2023535, 1996720, 2007537, 2057988 and 1909853 in hopes it would fix the roll up program, it didn't help our issue

- we used  /RPM/PLAN_INT_PREP on both Items and Initiatives in hopes it would generate the Initiatives' views, it made no difference

- we tried defining the period breakdown on both the Item and the Initiative upon their creation (instead of letting the system set the default)

- we reproduced the period breakdown trick in code by using INM_INITIATIVE_MODIFY, but it does not "unblock" the Initiative like it does in NWBC

- we tried to find where and when the financial view is created, but V_INM_INIT_DB is not used anywhere in the system apparently!?

- searching online for infos on both V_INM_INIT_DB and /RPM/FICO_INT_PLANNING did not bring much information

My questions to you

- anybody met a similar issue previously? How did you solve it?

- any ideas on where to look or what to try next? We're kind of out of ideas here, and running short on time, as we'll start the user testing soon.

I'm currently trying to trace and debug what's happening in both the roll up program and NWBC, to see if I can understand what's wrong. But this is a lengthy process, especially considering I don't even know what to look for. So any help and ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Jonathan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We found out what it was. Method perform_fin_rollup of class /RPM/CL_ITEM_PLAN_INT makes a ton of currency checks and conversion, and one of them failed because our Initiatives were created without currency (and it isn't defaulted by the system). When we changed the Initiative in NWBC, it receives a default currency from the dynpro, and so when we ran the roll up again, this time it worked.

We've changed our creation code to set the currency ourselves directly, and now the roll up works up to the top.

Thanks all for your time!

Kr,

Jonathan

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jonathan

Can you confirm that you are using the same period breakdown for Item and Initiative? From your description above it almost seems like you are using annual breakdown at Initiative level, or am I mistaken?

Chatsworth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Chatsworth,

Yes, we're using annual breakdown on both Items and Initiatives.

Regards,

Jonathan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jonathan,

This sounds very strange and I have never encountered this. If your configuration is all correct, as you have confirmed, then I am not sure what the issue could be. This is especially confusing since you are saying that the roll-up does work if you play around with the period breakdown

I would suggest that you raise an incident with SAP if you have not already done so

Sorry I can not be of more assistance,

Chatsworth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi again,

Perhaps you can share a few screenshots of your financial view configuration, financial mapping, etc? We can then take a look

Thanks

C

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chatsworth,

Here are our financial categories:

...and their groups:

The financial views:

...and their front-end display:

And finally mapping the views to the cost elements:

Thank you for your time!

Kr,

Jonathan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jonathan

I always use monthly periods and also maintain 'distribution type' but I am no certain that this will make a difference. From what I can see your configuration looks ok

What keeps confusing me is the fact that you are saying that it works sometimes. Is there a pattern? Does it work only for planned cost when it does work or for actuals

What happens if you change your breakdown to monthly (for bucket, Initiative, and Item)? Then also maintain a distribution type (e.g. based on fixed number of days per month). You can perhaps try this - otherwise I don't know.

Regards

C

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chatsworth,

Thanks for taking a look. We're confused as well, hence the post

The "pattern" seems to be the period breakdown must be Annually for the roll up to be complete.

I just ran a test where the Item, the Bucket and the Initiative had a Monthly breakdown (with distribution type set to calendar, and fake start/finish dates set on the Item), and the roll up worked for the Item but not for the Initiative, same as before. Once I put them all on Annually, an ran /RPM/FICO_INT_PLANNING again, then it worked on the Initiative as well.

Hard to say if this is an issue in the dynpros, whatever standard code generates the views, or the roll up program.

Kr,

Jonathan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jonathan,

Do you typically have a 1:n assignment between Initiatives and Items?

When you run /RPM/FICO_INT_PLANNING which execution option do you select? I have had issues in the past with roll-up errors being generated in ST22 - can you check whether you have any ST22 error logs when you run this report? This issue relates to a locking of the target object which sometimes occur (and despite SAP notes this still sometimes crops up)

When I run this report I usually select execution option "Integration and Planning" (Second radio button from the top); once this processing is complete I then run this report again with option "Rollup". Can you try this and let me know?

Regards,

C

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chatsworth,

Yes, we have always at least one Item per Initiative, and later we create additional Items, so it's indeed a 1:n relationship.

There are no errors in ST22.

When running int_planning, we use "Integr., Planning and Rollup" option. I just made a run with first "Integration and planning", followed by "Rollup", but it gave the same result (Item OK, Initiative NOK).

Kr,

Jonathan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jonathan

Ok. I am sorry that I cannot be of more help to you

Please raise with SAP

Once you have resolved this please update this thread as we would all be interested to understand what happened

Best regards

C

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jonathan,

It seems that database tables are not getting updated despite of running report /RPM/FICO_INT_PLANNING.

Can you please check and confirm this whether table RPM_FIDATA is getting updated.

If not, I would suggest to run report RPM_FI002 before running /RPM/FICO_INT_PLANNING.

Let us know if this works.

Best Regards,

Aditya